1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Night Lights - NBC run

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jan 17, 2009.

1. I think that was supposed to represent the awkward conversation that might occur when a character like Tim Riggins participates in a meal that isn't really typical for him. What else are the McCoys supposed to ask him?

Overall, another great episode. Good to see Smash get a walk on, good to see Saracen and Julie flirting again (Julie looked even better than usual the entire episode ... I don't know why, but she did). It seems like they are getting back to the good, ol' FNL from the first season.

2. highlander

highlander Member

Whatever happened to Santiago? He was a beast on the field.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree on Julie. The character has grown up a lot. And I dug Tyra's campaign.

4. highlander

highlander Member

Tyra is smoking hot. So is Street's baby's mother.

5. I also dug Tyra's campaign ... for both the obvious reason (she's smoking hot and so were her friends) and because it showed that even in trying to better herself, she can't find a way to do that doesn't involve using her sexuality. I think the dynamic between her and Principal Taylor is going to be great this season ... and not just because the two of them are smoking hot.

6. Vote for Tyra; Get Action.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Even when you're already 83.

[​IMG]

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Love the new humbled Smash. I liked the arrogant one, but I love this storyline because an injury like that is such a learning experience. And it'll make it even sweeter if he makes it at A&M.
    Also love Julie this season (which makes me feel dirty).
    Not sure where they're going with Tyra. Looked like they were trying to make her into a good girl, now they've swerved, and I'm sure now she's going to want to be a good girl to prove herself to the principal. Oy.

9. I agree about the humbled Smash. It's made me like the character even more.

As for Tyra, I don't think it was a swerve at all. I think it is very consistent with her story, in fact. She's a girl from a white trash background that has been told she'll never amount to anything her whole life ... until Principal Taylor (and Landry) came along. She is now trying to achieve something but doesn't have the skill set / social knowledge of how to genuinely pull it off. How could she after only like a year of being "good." She's trying to be good the best way she knows how, which isn't exactly the most appropriate way.

10. highlander

highlander Member

It's Pygmalion in Dillon.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figured Tyra had/has every intention of being a good student body president, but realized after her poster was defaced people weren't going to give her a chance. The only way she'd get the chance is to campaign the way she did.
    The classic "body gets you in the door, the brain keeps you there" kind of thing. Who knows, maybe she'll even team up with the principal to seek a cut from the Jumbotron revenues.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Oh yeah, and on Tyra, don't forget to factor in the angry old white guy that keeps belittling her. That played a role in what transpired....Loved the stuff with Saracen.. his story has always been compelling.

Draft saved Draft deleted