1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Night Lights II: Police lights, that is, for a former Permian star

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Brian Chavez was the tight end who ended up going to Harvard. He came back to Odessa to work at his family's law firm -- and, according to police, lead a mass break-in and beating. One of other people arrested, Stanley Wilkins, also was on the Permian team in Friday Night Lights.

http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=15320

Four people in Odessa were arrested over the weekend on charges of burglary of a habitation with intent to commit a felony.

They are Odessa attorney Brian Chavez, his brother Jacob Chavez, also a lawyer in Odessa, Bowie Junior High football coach Stanley Wilkins and Rosemary Soto.

They're out of jail tonight, but they all face felony charges.

Witnesses and victims of the alleged crime tell us these four people and about a dozen others broke into their home and assaulted them in front of their children.

We spoke with police today about the charges, and the events that led up to the fight.

Odessa Police responded to a disturbance call late Friday night in the 600 block of East 36th Street.

"Upon arrival, four people were being detained. Through witness accounts, they were involved in an altercation at that address,” Corporal Chris Aguilar with the Odessa Police Department said.

Witnesses say the fight followed several hours of verbal harassment by the suspects outside their home. Then, things escalated when they brought more people over and allegedly forced their way into the home.

"They were saying about 10 to 12 people showed up to the residence and there was an altercation inside the residence,” Aguilar said.

There were four men inside the home at the time of the break-in. Several people sustained minor injuries, and one man was taken to Medical Center Hospital where he received stitches on his head and face. Most of the individuals fled the scene before police arrived, but they found the four suspects outside the house.

"They had positively identified the four people that were there at the scene as entering their house without consent and committed assault,” Aguilar said.

Those arrested were brothers Brian and Jacob Chavez, who own the Chavez Law Firm in downtown Odessa. Also arrested were Rosemary Soto and Stanley Wilkins, a football coach at Bowie Junior High in Odessa. No word tonight on his current employment status with ECISD. Now, they all face serious charges.

"In this case, they entered the residence and committed assault, so that made it a burglary, felony 1,” Aguilar said.

We'll continue to follow this story as more information develops, and bring you the very latest as it comes our way.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: Friday Nights Lights II: Police lights, that is, for a former Permian star

What the hell kind of dispute could that have been to involve a lawyer and a football coach acting like a pair of common home-invasion thugs?

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

the people they fought with were Midland Lee fans.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Active Member

Isn't Wilkins the son of the coach before Gaines? That coach was beloved because he won and he was a tough son of a gun.

As for Chavez, he was one of the most likeable people in the book - until now.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah he was. Next thing Ivory Christian will beat someone up.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Seriously?

My guess would have been racism which the books describes pretty neatly if I recall correcly.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

For what it's worth, Chavez's father has had some legal troubles himself. This is from May 28.

http://www.oaoa.com/news/chavez-31613-license-decision.html

About eight years after being released from federal prison, former local attorney Jose Antonio "Tony" Chavez was told Thursday that he can once again try to earn a license to practice law in Texas.

Before returning to legal practice with his two sons, however, Chavez will have to take and pass the Texas bar exam to regain his license.

During the hearing, at least 20 witnesses were present to testify to Odessa District Court Judge John Smith about Chavez's commendable personal character and professional legal aptitude, especially since his 16-month stint in prison for being an "accessory after the fact" to a drug ring that stretched from Odessa down to Chihuahua, Mexico.

I know online comments are to be taken with a grain of salt, but it's interesting that the overwhelming response is not utter shock, but "what took police so long."

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I recall the book portraying the Chavez family as its American dream heroes. The dad who'd risen from impoverished illegal immigrant beginnings to success and wealth through hard work and study. And the son who was the most intelligent and responsible kid on the team. Seems there was a bit more to that story.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Bizarre story. I feel like I'm getting about 20 percent of it. I'd love to know what made lawyers and teachers break down the door and start beating people up.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

and where was boobie during all of this?

11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Or we find out that Mike Winchell's running a prostitution ring.

Brian Chavez struck me as one of the most sympathetic characters in the book and movie ... one of the good guys. So much for that, I guess.

12. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

It's called "Medical Center Hospital?"

Draft saved Draft deleted