1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Night Lights begins, sort of

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OTD, Sep 30, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I just saw the first episode of the season last night and boy oh boy am I not impressed. Saracen pouting in mop up time? Lyla and Tyra and Riggins as old as Saracen and Julie all of a sudden? Tyra's big temper tantrum about college?

The characters are still likable, yes. But the dialogue and storylines used to at least by generally believable, and not so cliched. At least in the first episode they took that away and seem to want to make it like the latest Aaron Spelling drama. This is the first time I've ever been disappointed with the show. Sure I'll still watch it, but dammit it better get better.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree on the time-shifting. I could see Riggins being "held back" a season (this is Texas football) and still being friends with Street, and Lyla and Tyra being just sophomores in Season 1, but they really didn't give that impression in Season 1. I assumed Lyla, Street, Tyra, Smash and Riggins were seniors, Saracen and Landry were sophomores and Julie was a freshman.

And maybe I missed something, but I assumed Smash was going to the black college to play football, did they stiff him too?

I think the SmashBall feature on the NBC FNL website is post-injury, I've only been able to get up to 21 points.

Draft saved Draft deleted