1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fresh advance stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackInTheBox, Feb 16, 2007.

1. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

I have to advance every game on the college-basketball beat I cover. I always come up with something but feel I slip into a rut sometimes with it or don't produce anything terribly interesting or compelling. Anybody out there willing to share some tips of writing something fresh 30-35 times a year about the same team before each game?

2. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I just play off the major storylines in any way I can. Sure, it's nothing shocking, and sure, it's probably beating the dead horse, but if a week goes by between games, I'll meet with the coach a few times here and there to check in on what that player's been doing at practice or how that situation is feeling its way out or how the new offense is working, etc.

You've just got to make them more like a feature to make them interesting, both to write and read. Throwing the nugget in there about the game is just a reason for writing but will never be the reason for reading.

3. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

Eagleboy, I understand that and do all that. It still seems redundant sometimes.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What you do is give an assistant coach $100 (wiped clean and given with gloves on).
    Tell him to give it to the most deserving kid.
    Take a picture through a screen door (for the added effect) of the exchange.
    You'll have whole season of stories to write. This job is easy.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

Read the advances written by NBA and college beat writers at the larger papers and see if they have a few fresh angles you haven't explorded. We all steal ideals from others. An example, a couple of years back, USA Today did a story on the salaries of high school football coaches around the country and what a big business high school sports had become. Within the next three weeks, large dailies in several states did the same story. Don't be ashamed to borrow. Someone will eventually borrow from you.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I have my own ideals, thanks.

I didn't steal 'em from nobody. 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted