1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frenchman wins Holocaust cartoon contest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Nov 3, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=25&story_id=34118

NEWS AND INFORMATION FOR EXPATS
    IN FRANCE - 3 NOVEMBER Frenchman winner of Holocaust cartoon contest
    TEHRAN, Nov 1, 2006 (AFP) - A Frenchman was among the winners of a controversial competition for cartoons on the Holocaust announced by Iranian Culture Minister Mohammad Hossein Saffar-Harandi Wednesday.

The Frenchman, whose name and entry were not released to protect him from possible prosecution in his homeland, came second equal with Brazilian Carlos Latuff, whose caricature showed a Palestinian wearing a uniform like that which Jews were required to wear in Nazi concentration camps.

The pair will share a prize of US $8,000. France is home to the world's second largest Jewish community outside Israel, as well as Europe's largest Muslim population.

The first prize of US $12,000 went to Moroccan Abdullah Derkawi who drew a crane bearing the Star of David at work on a section of Israel's West Bank separation barrier that he depicted bearing a photograph of the gateway to the Auschwitz death camp.

"The Holocaust is a myth and this issue has finally made waves thanks to the action of President (Mahmoud) Ahmadinejad in daring to express himself on the subject and break the Holocaust taboo," Saffar-Harandi said as he announced the prize winners.

None of the foreign winners were present at the award ceremony.

Massoud Shojai, one of the organizers of the contest first announced in February, blamed "political pressure" for their absence.

Iran announced the competition following the re-publication in a number of mainly European newspapers of Danish caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed.

Ahmadinejad has sparked a chorus of international criticism with a series of statements calling into question the massacre of millions of Jewish civilians by Nazi Germany during World War II.

During a visit to the United States in September, his reformist predecessor Mohammad Khatami insisted Ahmadinejad did not mean to question the Holocaust itself but its use to defend the creation of a Jewish state on Palestinian land.

"I believe the Holocaust is the crime of Nazism," Khatami told Time magazine.

"But it is possible that the Holocaust, which is an absolute fact, a historical fact, would be misused. The Holocaust should not be, in any way, an excuse for the suppression of Palestinian rights," the former president told the New York-based news weekly.

"I personally believe that he (Ahmadinejad) really didn't deny the existence of the Holocaust," he added.

Copyright AFP

Subject: French news

Print E-mail this to a friend Write to the editor Discuss

Newsletters | Recommend Expatica | Expat Night | Business Directory

Expatica Housing | Expatica Jobs | Expatica HR | Expatica DATE!
    Expatica Belgium | Expatica France | Expatica Germany | Expatica Netherlands | Expatica Spain

About Expatica | Privacy Policy | Editorial Policy | Contact Us | Disclaimer

© copyright 2005 Expatica Communications BV

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Uh, the Frenchman came in 2nd.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

So poin, it's not ok for them to draw that cartoon, but it is ok to draw that pic of Mohammed? Is it also ok to have that pic on your avatar?

poin's predicted response: ..................Stop calling me names, blah blah blah *posts article*

6. Chuck~Taylor

I disagree, they're both wrong for drawing the draw cartoons.

7. Chuck~Taylor

You see, not only do I hate looking at them, but I also hate the effects of them as well. I don't want embassies bombed and people being killed because of a cartoon. But I understand what you say about having the freedom to express your self. I guess people just need to suck it up and act mature about it. Which is what the radical Muslims NEED to do.

8. Chuck~Taylor

I agree with you, 100%

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

10. Chuck~Taylor

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So the French lost again? Can those fuckers win anything? Even solitaire?

Draft saved Draft deleted