1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

French Toast

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jun 13, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

When I was a kid my mom always made french toast for special breakfasts, or in our house it was a breakfast that wasn't cereal.

She always grated a little orange peel, in kitchen speak that would be orange zest, plus a little cinnamon and vanilla. Good stuff.

I make it the same way but I use heavy cream, a couple of eggs and a little milk. The real key is the bread. Thick sliced brioche or raisin bread makes a huge difference.

Always interesting to hear where people fall -- pancake, french toast or waffle families. I think much of it hinged on if the couple got a waffle maker as a wedding gift.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Waffles blow.

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

egg nog batter is a fave around here ... and using cinnamon toast does put you ahead of the game ... gotta have sausage as an accoutrement ....

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Thank you. Glad I'm not alone here.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought we were supposed to call it freedom toast now.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

SO DO YOU!!!!!

Note to self: Next time I see YGBFKM, skip Cracker Barrel and go to IHOP. Order multiple plates of waffles. Douse with ketchup. Smile thru the disgust of eating ketchup-doused waffles. Rinse, wash, repeat.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Not necessarily the same topic that you're all on, but a good monte cristo is always an amazing treat.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And I thought Mrs. Huggy was a well-adjusted individual.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I did french toast with egg nog and Maker's Mark once. Too much bourbon, but it was good all the same.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't dig on dessert for breakfast.
    I'm still amazed when I see people eating a bunch of sugar and syrup for breakfast.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Challah for the bread. A little bit of skim milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract and nutmeg. No syrup.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Who are you calling a lint licker? You cootie queen!

Draft saved Draft deleted