1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

French Quarter shelter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dargan, May 20, 2009.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

I know there are numerous New Orleans-help threads on here, but I figured I'd start another one real quick to see if I could get some quick feedback.

A buddy and I are planning the annual trip to New Orleans and will stay in a French Quarter hotel. I've been several times, and I like the Sheraton and the Astor Crowne Plaza.

I'd like to stay somewhere less expensive, if at all possible. I've seen a couple places online (Bienville House, French Market Inn) with prices better than the normal $120 or $130 per night prices you get at the Sheraton or the ACP. Anybody stayed somewhere in the Quarter/off Decatur that wouldn't run as high and may not be as romance-centric for a couple fellas on a man trip?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Stay at a new, nice hotel. Do not, under any circumstances, stay at an antique hotel in the Quarter. I'm 0 for 2 and will not make that mistake again.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And do not stay at a bargain-rate hotel, either. I hit a La Quinta in Metairie once and was looking out the window every two hours to make sure my car wasn't getting broken into. Rough night.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've stayed at both the Hyatt and the Whitney. Both are on Poydras, which is about eight blocks from Canal.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

My hotel of choice in New Orleans is the Renaissance Arts on Tchoupitoulas. I've stayed there so many times I can spell Tchoupitoulas without having to look it up ;).

It's within decent walking distance of the Quarter, and it's across the street from Lucy's, one of my favorite bars in the world. You can usually get it for around $100 with the VIP rate. I don't know if that's more than you were looking to spend, but I absolutely love that hotel.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Try the Monteleone. It's on Royal one block off Canal and one block off Bourbon.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Seconded. Stayed there recently with no worries at all. There are safes in the rooms if you're worried about valuables.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Anybody ever stayed at the Royal Sonesta? It's actually in Bourbon Street, which might be a draw for some and a strike against it for others.

And I've learned via another thread that the Hyatt next to the Superdome is still shuttered.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

I've always thought the Monteleone looked cool, but just checked the prices for the time I'm looking for. No lower than $161.50 per night. So that's out.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming if you know anything else.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

For a second I thought hurricane season was getting too intense too soon ...

11. occasionally

occasionally Member

Try Le Richelieu. It's on the end of the Quarter furthest from Canal Street, but a good place just the same, and you may be able to get in for under $100.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

Anybody know about any of these?

They seem to be the less expensive options of the places I've briefly "researched" so far.

St. Louis Hotel
    Bienville House
    French Market Inn
    Prince Conti Hotel

Draft saved Draft deleted