1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

French parents rule, American parents drool

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 9, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

On the heels of last year's book from the Chinese mom pointing out that American parents are lazy candy-asses who are too easy on their children, the Wall Street Journal has an excerpt from the book "Bringing Up Bebe" about how American parents are overbearing and French parents exude a silent authority that lets their kids develop independence and remain calmer.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424052970204740904577196931457473816.html

Author says she noticed that her kid was a brat on vacation while all the French kids seemed perfectly well-adjusted and able to sit still on vacation. (I will note that the author's daughter was named "Bean," which probably offers huge clues as to the child's upbringing until age 2 regardless of her parents' heritage.) But there might be grains of truth, certainly things that are seen frequently in American children but, according to the author, not so much over there:

--One of the keys to this education is the simple act of learning how to wait. It is why the French babies I meet mostly sleep through the night from two or three months old. Their parents don't pick them up the second they start crying, allowing the babies to learn how to fall back asleep. It is also why French toddlers will sit happily at a restaurant. Rather than snacking all day like American children, they mostly have to wait until mealtime to eat. (French kids consistently have three meals a day and one snack around 4 p.m.)

--Authority is one of the most impressive parts of French parenting—and perhaps the toughest one to master. Many French parents I meet have an easy, calm authority with their children that I can only envy. Their kids actually listen to them. French children aren't constantly dashing off, talking back, or engaging in prolonged negotiations.

But their girls do grow up to be much looser women, so it can't be all great.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

French parents rule even though American parents who are authors of books about French parents give their husbands menage a trois for their 40th birthday?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/02/08/did_bringing_up_bebe_author_paula_druckerman_write_about_her_threesome_.html

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Now that is a goddamn laugh riot. Thank you for taking the thread in a MUCH better direction.

Wow. I guess she thought that one would slide past the whole Internet?

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Shave your pits: lose your parental control.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because French children are so well-behaved that they're so good at surrendering later in life.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If your parents gave you wine every day from age 13 on, you'd play ball too.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

French parents fart in Amy Chua's general direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted