1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

French Open men's final - any hope for Federer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by More hideous than Ben Seaver, Jun 6, 2008.

?

French Open final: Federer vs. Nadal III. Who ya got?

1. Nadal easily

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Nadal in a close one

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Federer easily

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Federer in a close one

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. I lack the ability to understand this is the best current rivalry in sports (certainly in any indivi

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. A little background: Rafa holds a 10-6 lifetime advantage, and is 8-1 on clay. He appears to be able to curl more weight, and is 27-0 lifetime at the French Open.

2005 semis: Nadal, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
    2006 final: Nadal, 1-6, 6-1, 6-5, 7-6 (4)
    2007 final: Nadal, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
    2008 final: ???

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rafa in three or four.
    Federer has 0.0001 percent chance.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Not much, Nadal on clay is just too good for even Federer. The 16 straight grand slam semis is ridiculous though.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, the best player in the world, maybe the best ever, has no chance.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Against a guy who owns that clay? Yeah, sounds about right. No blue type needed.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

To say that Federer has no chance -- no matter the surface, the circumstance or Rafa clay court superiority -- is flat out stupid.
    Would you really be shocked if Federer won? I wouldn't

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I would. Nadal's clay game is improved over last year's (yes, that's possible), and Federer's isn't. Federer has struggled, as much as he's capable of, on clay this year. Lost in some tournaments early, been stretched in some wins, etc.

Just because Federer's No. 1 doesn't mean it wouldn't be a shock if he won tomorrow. Nadal's the best clay courter of this era and might be the best clay courter ever.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I would. No question about it. Clay has tripped up many great players, and as long as Rafa's around, Federer will never be favored to win the French. It'd be a pretty big upset if he won Sunday.

9. sportschick

8-1 = Nadal's record against Federer on clay.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since Federer HAS beaten Nadal on clay once, ipso facto he has a chance. Not a very good one, however. But 10-1 odds, say. Horses with that price come in every so often.

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

I'd be shocked if Federer wins.

Maybe a 5 percent chance?

Would love to see him at least get a break somewhere. Maybe steal a set. Make it a match.

12. sportschick

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he won a set. He's the last person to win a set off Nadal at Roland Garros. I would be surprised if he won two.

Draft saved Draft deleted