1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freeman shreds Urban Meyer for quarterback rotation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 9, 2006.

1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Good Lord that is weak column on soooooooo many levels. Nice hire. (No, I didn't apply for the job).

But perhaps Mike's editors could remind him that Mr. Sweater Vest did indeed use two qbs not too long ago. Only it was Troy Smith getting screwed by the wonderboy Justin Zwick. See 2004 season.

And how in the hell can Leak be the starting QB on the hottest team in the nation? No, that would be Mr. Smith, whose team is also unbeaten and ranked ahead of Florida.

And did I mention Smith's passer rating is superior to that of Leak? And that he has more TD passes (with fewer attempts) and fewer picks, too?

Do. Your. Homework. Pleeeeeease. ::)

2. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment.

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

This is a really stupid column. Meyer needs to get Tebow ready for next season. There is not another scholarship QB on the UF roster, so he has to get some SEC game experience this year. He brings a dimension to the offense Leak does not with his running, which forces teams to have to spend time preparing to defend it. That in turn makes Leak more effective as its less time getting ready for his stuff. If Meyer was taking full series away from Leak and having the kid throw the ball a lot, I would understand the point, but he threw twice in 15 snaps against LSU.

I'd love to have been in the office when Freeman turned this in. UF's 6-0 for the first time since 96 and you think it's a good time to write a rip job column on the coach because he's not pushing one of his guys enough for an individual award. Huh?

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's a dopey column, but I don't have a problem with this. Meyer is loathsome.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Not a good few days for Sportsline. Freeman is not a skillful writer, and the obvious attitude doesn't help his cause. I just have to think the standards to write a regular column at a reasonably sized paper are higher than what passes for analysis at many scores-first sites.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just read the column, it really was awful, but, much to my surprise, Mike Freeman's black.
    I didn't know that, no really, I didn't know that.
    So I guess Hondo was saying, "hey look that black writer is backing up the black QB. Surprise, surprise."
    But what I really think is that after two national pieces talking up Meyer and Florida's season so far, Freeman rushes into the fray to stir it up. Manufacture some negative to get people talking and going online to read it.
    That brings something up, but it is worthy of its own thread.
    Anyway, the love affair some have Leak is odd. One of the recruiting mags, maybe Scout, had a preseason piece that ranked Leak as the third or fourth best high school quarterback ever. The first two were Elway and Marino, that much I remember. I also think he was the only current college player in the top 20.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Anyone else remember when Leak accepted a scholarship offer from Wake Forrest when he was in 8th grade?

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Actually Leak isn't that slow but he runs like a pussy. Last week against Bama he broke off a 50-yarder that had everyone in the Swamp shocked because he had never run with that sort of authority before.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That was C.J. Leak, Chris's brother, who ended up at Tennessee.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's the coach's job to get the most out of his roster any which way he can. 6-0 says that's just what Meyer's done. Freeman's column hasn't got a fact to stand on.

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Agreed. But Mike's column sure has the "buzz" so many editors seem to want these days. ::)

12. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

No, I think it was Chris Leak. His brother was at Wake Forest when Chris gave the committment and then C.J. transferred to Tennessee.

Draft saved Draft deleted