1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelancing question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Seabasket, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

I've been doing some regular freelance work for a magazine.

The last couple times they've assigned me a story and given a word count, I've noted that might be a little short for the subject matter. Each time I submitted a story over the given word count (say I wrote 2000 words when they asked for 1500).

They publish the story virtually as-is without cutting down. Both times I have billed them for the 1500 words, but if they end up running the longer story, is it OK to bill for 2000 words?

Just wondering if any of you have come across this and what you think.

Thanks.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sure, it'd be nice to be rewarded for your extra work, but they have no obligation to pay you more if they've agreed to pay you for 1,500 words and they run the 2,000-word story you submitted.

Can you broach the subject of a raise before your next assignment?

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You don't submit a bill for the higher word count, just what was agreed upon. If something last-minute comes up and I need to cut the story in half, the writer still gets paid for the prestated amount. That's just fair. But you have no authority to change the parameters of the agreement on your own.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bottom line, it's probably harder to write a good shorter story and it might require more editing on their part on of these days.

5. They asked for 1,500-- not their fault you turned in 2,000

6. I agree with the others.
    And as a threadjack, how do you broach the subject of how a story was edited? I've turned in a couple pieces for a particular magazine and every time the editor has added a sentence here and there. That wouldn't be a big deal except that his tone is completely different from mine and he usually adds some sort of cliched phrasing, which I try to avoid.
    As a freelancer should I have any expectations toward voicing my concern to the editor? Or should I just be happy for the continued assignments, which means he obviously likes my work for the most part? And, finally, how do I bring it up without sounding like a whiny bitch writer (which I can be at times ;)) ?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not knowing the situation and how much pull you have, I'd at least say you notice that he's added some things and that in the future if he feels you've left something out, you'd be happy to/feels its important that you/demand that you be given the chance to add it in.

8. I'm not sure how much pull I have, so that probably means I don't have much. But at least you've given me a way of bringing up the subject. Part of me wonders, too, if I'm making too big a deal about it. I don't mind being edited, I just hate when things are added that are so totally different from anything I'd write.

Draft saved Draft deleted