1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelancers: Do you have a Web site?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stop_Pre, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Stop_Pre

Stop_Pre New Member

A question to the freelancers out there:

Do you have your own Web site? What do you put on it? Is it there solely for potential clients to view your resume and clips, or does it generate business for you?

I send story pitches left and right, then I get a lot of editors who say, "Yeah, sounds like a good idea, I'll get back to you." Then nothing, even if I try to follow up. I'm wondering what I can do better to close the deal, and I'm wondering if a Web site would be a good tool.

Thoughts?

2. In Exile

In Exile Member

Yes, I have a web site, and not a very complicated one, but it includes clips, resume, reviews, etc. I set it up thinking more that it would promote my existing work rather than get me newwork, but to my great surprise, it has generated work for me - not a lot, but not an insignificant amount. I don't know if it would help close a deal, but it might find you a deal.

3. JLaff

JLaff Guest

Yes. I'm a senior in college, and I'm trying to impress a potential employer however I can. I figured having my own website might at least show that I know how to work with online stuff (I'm trying to learn HTML and plan on taking a web design class or something of that nature).

I haven't had it long enough to say that it helped me land a job or anything. I'm hoping that it will help me land one after graduation.

In exile, you say your site has reviews. Stupid question, but do I go to editors/co-workers and ask them for reviews, or is there some third party that would critique/review my work? It sounds interesting and something I could potentially add to my site.

If it's okay, I'll plug my site - http://www.jlaff.com.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I have a bare-bones site where I post my stories (heds, subheds, words, art) and the links to said stories.

When I contact editors, I attach the link to the site and they can read my stuff.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I freelance in addition to teaching, and have plans to put a bunch of clips on a Web site. I bought the doman name through GoDaddy for six bucks a few months ago, but just haven't had the time to do anything with it yet. I figure it will be easier than sending clips, either by snail or e-mail.

6. In Exile

In Exile Member

J-Laff - Reviews of books I have written.

7. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

I started a Web site when I knew I was going to be job hunting soon. I have clips, resume and links to podcasts I've done. I also have a page for my personal ethics code, a page with all of the equipment I use (ie digital recorder, lav mic, point and shoot camera, etc.), a page with all of the awards I've won (including stories), and a link to an audio reference by my old paper's former podcast producer.

When I was freelancing it was useful to point people to the site to see what work I've done in the past. (Granted, my idea of freelancing is doing work for a daily on a beat until I can get a full-time job. I am not cut out for full time freelance.) Also, I get about 1-2 unsolicited job offers a month. Mind you, they are usually for a weekly or small daily (which is where I work at now), and 80% of the time it's for something far from where I live, but it's good to boost the ego.

8. You've got some interesting ideas I'd have never thought of. Thanks.

I'm learning Dreamweaver right now, as this is my goal. I want to be able to send people right to my site and link (or host) my stories and such.

9. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

So far it's been incredibly useful when I meet people on the beat. I tell them "go to www.mywebsite.com" to see the types of stories I do, or if they seem particularly iffy about talking to media, my ethics page, or whatever. I also have a "contact me" page where people fill out a form and it goes to my gmail account.

At some point I intend to start a blog and have an RSS feed, but I'm filing away some topic ideas for now and in the future I'll start it up.

The way I learned Dreamweaver is I picked a template to use, and then completely changed the color scheme, modified some pages, added pictures in different places, etc. I can now craft a pretty decent story showcase page from scratch without much work (10 mins tops).

Draft saved Draft deleted