1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FreelanceHomeWriting.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, May 29, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Sorry if this has already been addressed here, but what's everyone's take on FreelanceHomeWriting.com? While it doesn't seem like something that would really build one's credibility or further a real career in writing, it does seem like it could generate a little income if it's legit. Anyone know anything about it?

EDIT: Not to say one's a hack if they do write for the site. I just honestly don't know, hence why I'm asking now. Alright then, that is all.

2. I took a quick look after I saw your post, and it appears you have to pay to access the job listings.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I always get suspicious when you have to pay to search or GET a job.

Approach cautiously.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Seeing if I could maybe supplement my income at some point, I've joined elance.com without really looking further into it.

There are some pay levels of the site, but there are also opportunities that can be pursued for free. The only "pain" is having to take a test to join, but it doesn't take a lot of study (or any) because most of the questions are common sense.

It hooks up people who have a job to do with people seeking them (they bid on jobs). The arrangements are made through elance, which has an escrow system.

It looks completely legit to me, although I haven't pursued it beyond signing up, and a lot of the jobs certainly wouldn't be in my wheelhouse. But I'm probably going to delve into it further at some point to try to cut into some of my debt.

If somebody know this place sucks, please post it here, because I don't want to be misleading people into a bad deal. But on the surface, it looks like the real deal to me. Just don't expect a lot of sportswriting or editing jobs to be on there.

5. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Yeah, I meant to say something about that in my post, but apparently did not. That was a little weird to me, too.

6. sf, there are some ok opportunities on elance, but they're few and far between. the girlfriend does a lot of work through there. for the writing jobs, you're bidding against guys from developing countries -- nothing wrong with them bidding for jobs, but they're also bidding 0.005 cents per word, rates like that. many of the people putting jobs out on elance really don't care about the quality of the work, so they go the cheaper route. a couple months ago, i was at a talk with a local magazine editor and she said she suggests freelancers and potential writers run from any of the bid sites. (there are a couple others out there besides elance.) sites like elance are devaluing the written word more than this entire devolution of the industry already is.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As a full-time freelancer myself, I agree with the previous post-- run from any bid sites, and darn near all pay sites (mediabistro comes to mind as one place that has some value, for a fee). There's no magic way to make money in freelancing other than coming up with your own ideas and pounding pavement to sell them, and of course networking. And I'm talking real money, not $2 blog entries and things that depend on clicks and ads to make you cash.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Clueless and playthrough, points well taken.

Draft saved Draft deleted