1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance writing opportunity for statistics lovers

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Covers.com Team, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

Covers.com, a website for those who love to bet on sports, is looking to start a new weekly column with an emphasis on statistics. We're looking for someone who can write about numbers in sports without getting too dull.

This writer should have access to numerous databases in different sports and would be asked to come up with his own story ideas most weeks.

Please send your resumes along with a short email telling us why you'd be perfect for this column to: agrewal@sportsdirectinc.com.

2. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Pay?

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

What databases do you expect the writer to have access to? It sounds like you're expecting the person to have special access to a DB that your Web site does not, which means it'd come from the columnist's own pocket to pay for DB access.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

We've seen this guy before. Little to none.

5. aradiowriter

aradiowriter New Member

$50 / article is the standard pay. Articles can be anywhere between 400 and 750 words. Not too bad at all, and the editors there are very professional and easy to work with.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Eh.

7. aradiowriter

aradiowriter New Member

I'm only speaking from experience. I understand that some of you have voiced displeasure over the communication aspect, i.e., the OP not returning to the thread to answer questions, etc. But seriously, I've had no problems with them. It ain't a full a time job, of course, but it's a good freelance gig. I'd much rather freelance for Covers than hack it up at a girls high school basketball game, that's for sure.

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Thought I had a good experience with them. They brought me on for what I thought was going to be a semi-regular gig, writing three stories a week.

Got my first assignments and ran with it. I even got paid when they said I would get paid. Then, I haven't heard from them since, even though I got several emails from them complimenting my work.

Oh well.

9. aradiowriter

aradiowriter New Member

It's pretty easy to get lost in the noise. Pitch an idea; if it's good, they'll let you do it.

10. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

They told me they would send me the topics to write on each week. Got the first week's worth, did them to their satisfaction, and then never heard from them again when I inquired about the next dose.

No big deal, just was hopeful it would turn into a regular weekly gig (as they said it would). More frustrating than anything else, but I've since landed two very nice freelance gigs that trump this one anyway.

11. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The folks at Sports Direct pay you on time. Other than that, my experience with them hasn't been good.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what type of dealings have you had with them? I've dealt with them twice. David Purdum's a really good guy (and no, I don't know David) and so was the previous baseball editor. If you don't want to air the laundry here, just PM me with the details.

Draft saved Draft deleted