1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance writer wanted in Danville, Va.

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by JBondurant804, Apr 20, 2015.

1. JBondurant804

JBondurant804 Member

The Danville Register & Bee is seeking a freelance writer to assist with high school and local sports coverage.

Located in Danville, Va., the Register & Bee covers eight high schools in Virginia and one in Caswell County, North Carolina, as well as racing at Virginia International Raceway, Martinsville Speedway, NCAA Division III Averett University, NJCAA Danville Community College and the Danville Braves, Single-A Short Season affiliate of the Atlanta Braves.

At this time we are currently looking for a freelancer who can assist with local high school coverage. Please have some experience covering athletic events, whether it be for a college or professional newspaper or website.

Please include one or two samples of your work when inquiring.

Message me for more details.

2. re2pectthehustl3

re2pectthehustl3 New Member

Good afternoon, my name is Khris Marion. I currently am stationed at Fort Lee, VA but can travel to Danville. I found your post and figured going directly to the source would be my best bet for a solid response. I also figured that what is most important to any managing editor is the overall product he or she are potentially getting and weighing the potential candidates' desire to work hard and be successful in the craft, demonstrated skill in said craft and ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment. I honed these skills through hard work, perseverance and dedication, but especially through my experiences as a journalist and a military officer.

While attending the University of Houston, I wrote for the school’s publication, the Daily Cougar. There I had the opportunity to publish six articles, one of which featured two members of the 1992 USA gold-winning 4x400m relay team: Leroy Burrell and Carl Lewis. I also spent five months interning as a producer with Yahoo Sports Radio in Houston and had the distinct pleasure of working with Sean Salisbury and the legendary Barry Warner. While interning with Yahoo, I had a chance to research content for two of their national shows and network with many journalists in the sports journalism field, some of which are prominent mainstream writers.

For the last six months I have been employed by Sports Radio America: I produce content for their coverage of Big 12 Men's basketball and football , write MLB, NFL and NBA feature pieces and provide live analysis on their internet radio production The College Credit Hour. Though writing for SRA is fulfilling, I am ready to take the next step in my journalistic career. I have included in this couple of the pieces published for SRA, a piece that I wrote while I was a student-journalist at the University of Houston. I have furnished email my resume, clips and a list of references as well. Please feel free to contact me at k.matthews.marion@gmail.com.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted