1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance writer needed

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help available' started by Classic editor, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Classic editor

Classic editor New Member

Classic Style Magazine, a new men's interest fashion magazine, is interested in contracting articles to sports writers for future issues.

Do not worry if you don't have fashion experience or knowledge. This story is for a sports writer and I want it covered that way.
    (Besides, sports writers are more creative and fun to read than fashion writers)

Our fall issue (Oct.-Nov.) is covering the fashion of football, looking at the progression of clothing from fur coats and suits in the '20s. '30s and '40s to body paint and jerseys today. Also, I am interested in the progression of how coaches dressed, from the suits and fedoras of Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry to the sweatshirt of Bill Belichick today. I want to know what the NFL policy is regarding coaching attire and SF head coach Mike Nolan's appeal to the league to wear a shirt and tie on Sundays.

Please email a resume and three writing samples to rick_d@classicstylemag.com

Freelance writers work under a contract and receive a kill fee for stories that are approved but do not get published.

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

Glad you acknowledged that. Most sports writers are known for not having/understanding fashion. Me included.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I and my tight-rolled jeans, Flock-of-Seagulls haircut disagree.

4. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

I believe the propper term is "pegging" the jeans

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

They aren't sweatshirts, they are "licensed team apparel. :)

6. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

Don't forget. Jags coach Jack Del Rio and Nolan both won the appeal to wear a suit and tie for the home games this year. I'd do a story on this subject if you are interested. PM me if you'd like.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I was never cool enough to grasp the lexicon of 80s fashion.
    Sorry.

8. KG

KG Active Member

I always heard it referred to as tight-rolled too. My18-year old niece had never head of it until I told her about it a few weeks ago. She had on these PJ pants and kept trying to roll them up because it was too hot for them. I told her to just tight-roll them and then roll up to her knees and they'd stay that way as long as she wanted them to. She just looked at me with a blank stare, trying to figure out what I meant. So it was really wierd to "teach" someone how to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted