1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance work -- what to charge?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dan Rydell, Sep 21, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Like I said, I've been lucky. Found a small handful of clients who pay enough to make it worth the extra time (on top of school work) to take it on.

FWIW, I found them all through craigslist.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I found one of my current part-time newspaper gigs through craigslist, but for me, it seems like that's a really rare find and that most of the stuff on there is spam.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

What kind of stuff you find there?

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Freelance editing/writing.

Fair bit of photo work to found as well.

Nice thing about the writing, etc, is that it doesn't have to be local. Photo tends to need to be close by.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They want you.

Charge them for it.

Forty cents a word is not astronomical. If you write 1,000 words then you should be getting $400 or more for your research, time and your craftsmanship.

Giving someone 1,000 words for $150 or $200 is selling yourself too short. You have what they want or need. Don't be afraid to ask for a sum that reflects what you can provide. They may pay it, say no or negotiate. But don't give in cheaply.

You wouldn't write a feature for a Web site for $10 or $15 and probably express disdain toward those who would. Why give someone your talents for a lesser amount?

As for editing, $30 an hour sounds like you're looking at college term papers for beer money A professional service would charge more. If you're a professional, you value your time, you are good at what you do and they want or need you, charge $75 or more an hour depending on the amount of work.

Draft saved Draft deleted