1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance work -- what to charge?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dan Rydell, Sep 21, 2007.

1. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

How about this: I'm headed to a football game for$65. He asked what my fee was and, having done a previous game for around that amount, I said $65. It's for a feature story (guessing 400-600) and a notebook. Thoughts? As a side, it's for a website.
    I'm guessing I should've asked for more, but my experience isn't like a lot of freelancers. I'm about a year and a half out of college.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I'd say you should have asked for more, but it depends on the size / notoriety of the site you're working for. I'm stringing for an 80K paper and get $60 for a 400 word feature, $50 for 300 word gamer. I graduated in May and am doing this for beer / gas money as I look for jobs. In college I got $100 for doing a 500 word game and notebook for a 200k paper. Always aim high, editors can always talk you down, but it's easier to negotiate if you start high.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

In my case, I'm more interested in anyone who has ever done freelance editing and charged by the hour.

Anyone done that?

My friend, an artist/designer, used to charge $50/hour himself when he was doing freelance, and that was 10 years ago.

4. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Goodwin, I'm still happy about going to D-1 game and making $65. It's a helluva better way to make some extra cash than valet parking, which I did in high school and some years in college. Plus, clips are pricless for someone like me (unemployed).

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I did a sider from a pro game two weeks ago for a major metro, 500 words for $300.

6. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

That's a good day's work. And if you can do that every Sunday, even better.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Admittedly, that's the way high end for that kind of work. I'm usually in the $150 range.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

The easy advice is, just jump from newsprint to glossies.

Any magazine with shiny paper that you can name -- as in, any glossy with some kind of newsstand presence -- would pay a buck a word as a rock-bottom minimum. I know "name" freelance writers who make four or five dollars a word. The trick is, magazines need fewer words than newspapers -- it's a tough nut to crack -- and they expect to get their money's worth. Send a marginal story to a magazine, and you're probably off their roster: There's good reason magazine writers might spend months on a single piece, and it's not just because we watch a lot of daytime TV, although that's part of it.

Also, you don't get paid extra for the weeks of harsh-eyed editing and fact-checking.

Which is why a salaried position is the magic bean, although then you have to lick closed all those perfume strips and blow in all those subscription cards. You wouldn't believe how cracked my lips are.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So how does one get all this freelance copy editing work?

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

This is just a friend who called me outta the blue, so I dunno.

I don't think it's gonna be much work, and I don't think it will pay much either.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

UT seems to have developed a nice little base, based on her comments.

I see sites like elance, and they don't seem to have many good gigs out there, but maybe I'm reading them wrong.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

For freelance copy editing or proofreading, I'd ask for a minimum of $20-$25 per hour.

Chances are, you'll make them look like a genius, correcting all the its/it's, there/their/they're, etc., and it's easy work.

Draft saved Draft deleted