1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance work -- what to charge?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dan Rydell, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I've got a friend who has a small advertising agency and wants me to do some freelance writing and editing for him.

Anyone know what the going rates are, both for writing and for editing?

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Have no idea yet. It's being sent to me tomorrow.

I'm looking for ballpark figures on hourly rates.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Double what you get from newspapers for an ad agency.

They pay real money.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

As opposed to the money newpapers provide us so we can pay for our gas and a quick trip to Wendy's -- but not enough for a Frosty.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, you wanted a Frosty, you should have gone to law school, pal.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I write at $.40/word and edit at $30/hour.

I have no idea if this is good or bad.

7. andykent

andykent Member

UT,

That is VERY good. Other than maybe SI or other magazines of that caliber (and with deep pockets) I don't know anyone who pays that well. What you're saying is if someone asks you to do a 1,000-word story you are charging them $400? Having secured work for over 10 different outlets I can tell you that $200 for a 1,000-word story is considered more than fair, with $150 being the standard.

And yes, most freelance gigs pay per assignment, not per hour.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Sweet.

I've just gotten lucky. Too bad no one's paying me to write 1,000-word stories.

Anyhow, I didn't have any way to judge the market, because I don't do much writing. I do a fair bit of editing, but mostly I shoot.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, fuck. What would Dave Thomas do?

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's nothing if you ask Jones.

As I told Jones when he made that post, I just want to live in his world for awhile.

11. lono

lono Active Member

My stuff in the last year has ranged from roughly $.30 a word to $2 a word.

There's a ton of money to be made doing freelance writing, I'm telling you. Ad agencies, corporate brochures, web sites, annual publications, trade publications ... on and on and on.

It's just we get brainwashed working at newspapers, so we think we should be treated like the undead and paid accordingly.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Anyone who agrees to do a 1,000-word story for $150 or $200 is screwing themselves. That's poverty level. As someone who hires freelancers on a regular basis, I'd have writers hang up on me if I offered that kind of pay. No, let me correct that; I wouldn't offer that kind of payment in the first place.

Anyone who wants to write for me at those prices, by all means, let me know. You can have all the assignments you want and my Accounting folks will love me.

Draft saved Draft deleted