1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance Utility Position, Wilmington NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AgatePage, Jul 29, 2016.

1. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

**Please feel free to DM me with any specific questions. Gracias, and have a great weekend.**

The StarNews in Wilmington NC is looking for a freelancer to fill the utility-knife position in our sports department.

In addition to enhancing our coverage of high school sports, a growing running and triathlon community and a USL pro soccer franchise, this person will help coordinate our print section with our design house two nights per week. A typical day could include time helping plan coverage for our Ironman triathlon this fall, then be part of a Facebook Live chat about that week's high school football matchups. We also expect this person to come up with great story ideas and content, not just file 400 words from whatever assignment she or he is given.

So what sort of skills do you need? Social media savvy, some photo and video know-how, ability to write in a media environment, basic copy-editing skills. And what about experience? We've had success with right-out-of-college professionals as well as those who have started at smaller media companies looking to expand their knowledge base and portfolio. We have a staff that you can learn from and will put you in a position to succeed.

Downtown Wilmington is 15 minutes from the beach, has a Division I university and a great food scene (if it sounds great, well ... it is). With high school and college sports quickly revving back into season, we are looking to fill this position as soon as possible. Please send clips -- 3 maximum -- a cover letter and resume to Dan.Spears@StarNewsOnline.com. No phone calls, please.

2. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I only know third-hand info. Dan had an opening two years ago that I applied for as a copy editor before Gatehouse came swooping in. He's A-1 class act. I also worked with someone who took a job here and loved it before moving on. The area is beautiful (me and my family have vacationed there for several years) and he's spot on about the food scene. I miss Flaming Amy's damn it. Love their big-as-your-head burritos along with the salsa bar.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Oh shit, I'd forgotten about Flaming Amy's, but it is indeed outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted