1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance Tax question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Apr 2, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Turbo Tax does all of this for you. I got a 1099 from my side gig and reported it, of course, because it went to the IRS.

Of course, I also got to deduct lots of stuff because I do it from home, so I can claim a home office and knock off a lot of stuff too.

If you traveled to an event for the freelance stuff, be sure you have records that document the mileage and take the deduction.

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

These were features done from home, so the only thing I could theoretically expense is part of my phone bill, although I have absolutely no way to document it.

3. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

While we are asking for tax advice, here is one.

Laid off from job in middle of November. Freelance for one month, make $2500. Get rehired middle of December.

I have a W2 and a 1099. Now what? Same ol Turbo Tax crap I usually do?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Two separate things. Turbo Tax will guide you through it and you'll have to pay taxes on that $2,500.

Draft saved Draft deleted