1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance Tax question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. Walter_Sobchak

    Walter_Sobchak Active Member

    For those who do their own taxes, I need some help figuring out what I have to fill out in addition to my 1040. I had about $700 in additional freelance income this past year, and am pretty sure I have to fill out a Schedule SE, although the way I'm looking at that form, it seems I have to fill something else out.

    Nothing like waiting until the last minute. Please help!
  2. redsox99

    redsox99 Member

    You should have gotten a 1099 and anything over 600 you have to report, I'm told.
  3. Ace

    Ace Well-Known Member

    $700 in one lump or smaller lumps?
  4. mustangj17

    mustangj17 Active Member

    I thought you had to report all income?

    Including interest from savings accounts.
  5. Ace

    Ace Well-Known Member

    Sure you have to -- ESPECIALLY the income that is reported to the IRS in the form of 1099s and such.

    If you know what I mean.
  6. mustangj17

    mustangj17 Active Member

    Yeah. I know what you mean. Oh well, it was over $600 this year anyway.
  7. Rumpleforeskin

    Rumpleforeskin Active Member

    That's what I thought.
  8. Walter_Sobchak

    Walter_Sobchak Active Member

    It was from two different sources. About 350 from each, and I didn't get a 1099 from either place.
  9. Ace

    Ace Well-Known Member

    People innocently forget stuff like that all the time, methinks.
  10. WriteThinking

    WriteThinking Well-Known Member

    You need to get a 1099 form, from both places.
  11. Dan Hickling

    Dan Hickling Member

    You'll likely want to fill out a Schedule C ... on which you report both that sort of income as well as your expenses (if you kept track of your mileage for these gigs, this is where you account for it...) ....
  12. mediaguy

    mediaguy Well-Known Member

    The thing to watch with freelance income is reporting self-employment tax (above and beyond income tax) -- few people know about it, but if you don't do it, you're an easy red flag for audits ...
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page