1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance journalist confronts Jim Calhoun, who channels Drew Rosenhaus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Feb 22, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Considering the fact that this country is in the worst economic shape it's been since the 1930s, the fact a guy makes $1.6 million per year to be a fucking BASKETBALL COACH is absolutely germane.

Millions of people are losing their jobs or have lost their jobs. More and more people are getting their unemployment benefits contested or denied. Universities around the country are cutting back expenses, including furloughs, and they pay a BASKETBALL COACH more than just about any state employee?

If this were a normal economy or a minor economic downturn, I'd agree with you. These times are anything but normal.

I agree that a post game press conference is not the place to confront Calhoun about this issue, but this issue needs to be raised. Too many people are losing their shirts for it not to be raised.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Plenty of known idiots and troublemakers get credentials on a regular basis, for newspapers, blogs, websites or whatever.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm sorry -- it is not a fair question to be raised because he is not a typical state employee -- his program - the program he created -- is PROFITABLE -- he is bringing in 10 times what they are paying him.

He is not a drain on taxpayers or the state's finances -- he is a guy who pays his own freight in terms of the amount of money that program brings into that school's coffers.

NOW -- If this so-called journalist/activist REALLY wanted to make an impact or raise a fair question, he'd go ask most WOMEN'S basketball coaches if they are going to give back because their salary IS a drag on the school's finances being as there are only two programs in the country which actually turn a profit.

So while Geno and Pat Summit certainly pay their freight why doesn't he go ask the lady at Duke, who makes a very nice salary despite the fact that her program bleeds money, go ask the lady at Texas, go ask Stanford's coach or go ask Georgia's coach -- if they think in these economic times it is OK for them to make as much money as they do (I don't agree it is a story -- I think people are worth whatever other people are willing to pay them)........but of course, that will NEVER happen because of political correctness and because women's basketball is the sacred cow of the liberal elitist pinheads who so dominate the media........

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right. It's not like anyone in Connecticut is blaming Jim Calhoun for the state of Connecticut's economy.

Florida is in debt, Billy Donovan, Urban Meyer and Bobby Bowden need to take pay cuts.

It's just ridiculous logic.

5. zagoshe

No those probably pay their own freight (I'm thinking those three programs are profitable, though I don't know for sure because I haven't looked it up....)

However, perhaps Jim Leavitt, Jose Fernandez and Stan Heath should think about it since that school has a sick idea of what is important and what is not......

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Women's basketball raises millions of dollars for breast cancer!

And they are every bit as good as the men!

Some of them can even dunk!

7. zagoshe

And they work hard and they deserve it because well, because, Christine Brennan and Mechelle Voepel says so dammit!!!!!

I've often asked this question and usually get either screaming or crickets for the answer (never an actual answer) -- what exactly did Gail Gosternickle (or whatever the hell her name is) do to deserve those big contracts at Duke considering whatever success she had was meaningless given that the program was losing about $2 million per year......

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think there's a little bit of a controversial history with Calhoun's and Auriemma's salaries. Something about the state legislature capping their salaries ?? Somebody help me out.

Then Calhoun and Auriemma bitched about their "low" pay and got some illegal perks?? Something with a car dealership that was exposed by the Courant ?? It may have been the AD who was truly at fault in that one.

So, knowing that history, some sort of question about this would seem appropriate, just not in that setting, under those circumstances, and especially not in the way it was asked.

I read somewhere that the guy lied about why he needed a credential and was given a photo credential-- because that's what he said he was there for-- photos.

And from what I've heard about the CT media, the guy was way off base. They have been tough on him. There have supposedly been some great feuds over the years.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I would surmise, then, that you believe us going to court to have Paterno's salary made public was not fair, either.

10. Mizzou, which side of the fence are you on?
    It's a vaiid question, but ridiculous logic?

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

It's a legit question — for a time outside a presser after a game.

Calhoun should have to comment on it (outside a presser) — a fair question would be "do you think you deserve that much?" and the answer would be "yes. We generate $12 million in revenue."

The AD, school prez and state officials should be talked to for the story, too.

The questioner should have researched the background, contract and revenue — and other state and other states' employees salaries (i.e. other coaches in other states) — before asking it.

12. zag's love for the female gender is at high tide, I see.

Draft saved Draft deleted