1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance journalist confronts Jim Calhoun, who channels Drew Rosenhaus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Feb 22, 2009.

1. As Killick pointed out.. The dude was asking the wrong man. Calhoun ain't the man to ask. The AD or college president is.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's pretty interesting.

So, Erickson will lose about 20k and Sendek 13k. I'm guessing both of them will work on their furlough days, though.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If I were Calhoun, I wouldn't volunteer my pay to be sliced. Who would?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yet folks think Alex Rodriguez should've admitted to steroid use before SI broke his usage.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

I'm confused. Has UConn been cutting non-revenue sports or is it somehow lacking in that area? Because last I heard, that program was raking in the money and a big reason for that was Calhoun (and Geno).

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

This reminds me of the hammerhead radio morning show gabber who somehow copped a media badge and at the post-tennis newsconference in Dallas about 20 years ago asked Johnny Mac some dumb question about why he double-faulted or something like that. Unfortunately, Mac made this guy's day by taking the bait and going nuclear on him.

Big surprise there.

Oh, yeah, proud day to be a journalist, too.

7. fletch b. fletch

fletch b. fletch New Member

Calhoun probably isn't the most accessible guy in the world, but I would like to think if the guy tried setting up an appointment with Calhoun, he would have made time for him. Or if that didn't work, show up to practice one day, wait until the regular media get what they need and approach him afterward. It's a shame that some knucklehead gets all this national attention for a story he could have easily done the right way.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Calhoun handled it the right way.

The guy was being a prick and trying to be a prick and wasn't interested in writing a story.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall afterward, when Calhoun asked the SID how in the hell that assclown got a credential to begin with.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you know what you're doing, you can walk up the day of the game at most places at the college level and get a credential. At a lot of places the credential requests are handled by someone very low on the totem pole with the exception of huge games.

To be fair, UConn is covered by more media than probably any place in Division I hoops. Kentucky might be a close second.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Anyone there familiar with Calhoun's contract? Is he like many football coaches where his base pay is not really higher then the most tenured professors, but supplemented by private donors?

12. Notepad

Notepad Member

Yes, you bring up a good point, how did he get a credential if this guy was a known idiot in Connecticut?

Draft saved Draft deleted