1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance journalist confronts Jim Calhoun, who channels Drew Rosenhaus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

VOTE CALHOUN IN '09!

HE'S A PROVEN WINNER!

:D

2. No. It is not. And especially not in post-game presser.
    Calhoun's salary would and should be brought up in story regarding contracts extentisions or negotaitations.

Why would Calhoun or anybody else voluntarily take a paycut? They got bills to pay just like you and I. And They have a contract!
    The economy sucks, but unless the state goverment or the school is in bad finacial shape people should not volunateer a pay cut. They shouldn't be expected either. ...
    To assume so is assinne.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Don't agree with that part. It IS a question readers might be interested in hearing an answer to, or explanation as to why he's worth the money based on the revenue he generates.

Not the place for it? Agreed.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Virginia governor is asking public schools to layoff 13,000 support staffers (custodians, secretaries, assistant principals, etc...) for the 2009-2010 school year.

Times are tough in many state governments, and that is not an assumption.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

This guy is an activist, not a journalist. He didn't seem to approach this with any degree of objectivity. His purpose was apparently to try to embarrass Calhoun rather than get substantive answers to his questions, otherwise he would have gladly taken Calhoun up on the offer to talk after the press conference. Calhoun sized him up exactly right and gave him the treatment he deserved.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I just realized it was Krayeske. He's a clown. Always has been.

And he's not a freelance journalist. He's a chronically unemployed journalist.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate to side with Calhoun on anything, but I agree this is not a question for a press conference.

It's a valid question, but if you ask it at a press conference, you're trying to embarrass the coach.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be curious how many states there are where the highest paid state employee isn't a hoops or football coach...

I'd guess no more than five.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

From dude's story:
    Well, frankly, that's not his job. That would be the athletic director's. Calhoun's got a contract, signed by the AD, whose job it is to make sure he's not overpaying the value of his coach. And he's upset because Calhoun wouldn't divulge the value of private endorsement contracts? Uh, okay.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

If you are being as subtle as I think you are with the use of the adverb, you fuckin rock.

11. sg86

sg86 Member

This thread title is misleading. It should say "Blogger confronts Jim Calhoun, who channels Drew Rosenhaus"

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted