1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

freelance help needed in raleigh

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by cs2823, Jan 3, 2010.

1. cs2823

cs2823 New Member

I need someone in the Raleigh/Cary area to help out with some prep feature stories on a monthly basis. Pay is $30 for around 800 words. Not a gold mine, but there's no photography required and the features are not too in-depth. Just your run-of-the-mill "local kid doing well" type of thing. I'll be giving the story assignments. If you only have time to do one per month that's fine. If you can do up to 4 or 5 that's even better. Whatever you're willing to pitch in. No hard deadline -- you'll have about 3 weeks to get them done each month. Good for younger people looking to build up their clips or for anybody looking for a few easy bucks. Fire away with any questions.

2. dutchbubba

dutchbubba New Member

Not a gold mine? That's not even a tin mine.

3. cs2823

cs2823 New Member

Best of luck making much more than that doing 800 word features on high school sports for most small newspapers. And considering these stories only take about 2 hours worth of your time, 30 bucks is actually more per hour than most small newspaper jobs. If you don't like it, carry on.

4. spartan47

spartan47 New Member

Could these interviews for features be done over the phone? I do a lot of features for a paper in another city and do a good bit of phone interviews.

5. cs2823

cs2823 New Member

As long as you get enough good stuff to craft a decent story, I don't really care if you do your interviews in person or over the phone. Obviously it's easier in person but many good stories have come from phone interviews. I like to see at least two sources for stories -- so typically a coach and a player or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted