1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance feature/profiles writer

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help available' started by ADanielPandR, Feb 25, 2020.

1. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

I am more of a sports writer than a sportswriter. Instead of game content, I pursue humanizing interview-based stories that readers cannot find anywhere else.

As a freelancer, I have contributed to newspapers, college and independent-school websites and alumni magazines, sports news sites, and sports/entertainment web magazines. I also logged five years as a staff editor and feature writer for Along the Boards/Pucks and Recreation, which specialized in “beyond the game” stories on people and organizations from the hockey world.

At ATB/P&R, I formed unique angles based on firsthand tips, tidbits in a subject’s bio, or an upcoming milestone for a given entity, connected with the subjects by email and phone, then built on those angles toward stories ranging between 800 and 6,800 words.

I am now looking to do more of the same on sports in general, so if you seek something along any of these lines, I may be interested:
    • Compelling narratives on sports personnel and their lives outside the arena
    • Intriguing backstories behind a fan base’s tradition
    • Retrospectives on bygone teams, leagues, or venues
    • Catch-up pieces on one-time notable athletes enjoying careers in other fields, or on one-time sports-movie stars
    • Profiles on unsung behind-the-scenes figures
    • Untold stories about the intersection of sports and pop culture
    • Deep dives into little-known fun facts
    • Trivia listicles
    For further consideration, you can browse my portfolio here, and you can DM me here on SJ or via Twitter @WriterAlDaniel.

2. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

I'm bumping this in the wake of a story on Athletes Unlimited that mentioned a finding that fans are “increasingly interested in athletes’ personalities and off-field lives.”

Whether it's on someone in any of the three AU pro sports or elsewhere, I am poised to tackle anything of a beyond-the-game nature. For further consideration, here are a few of my most recent stories.

Pandemic is Part of Nursing Student Clair DeGeorge's Hockey and Academic Life

Tampa Bay sports arrived in earnest in the ’90s

Legendary coach Bob Deraney and his podcast From The Point

With luge Season in limbo, Tucker West is able to see some silver linings

Once again, if you are interested in teaming up, you can DM me on this site or on Twitter.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Draft saved Draft deleted