1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance Editor/Designer needed for 2-3 weeks: Austin/San Antonio area (Lockhart Post

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help available' started by spikechiquet, Aug 16, 2018.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Posting for my friend:

HELP WANTED: Journalism/design folks in the Austin/San Antonio/New Braunfels/San Marcos/Etc. area. As you may know, I'm currently the editor of the Lockhart Post-Register, a weekly that publishes on Thursdays. I'm going to be taking time off roughly Nov. 1-Nov. 19 to get married and go on a honeymoon. I currently handle the design, photography and writing of the paper mostly on my own, although we do have some regular contributing columnists and a pretty talented part-time photographer who pinch hits when we need help. I'm needing someone to cover for me during my time off. Here's what we'd potentially need help with:

-Designing the paper on Tuesday nights using Adobe InDesign. You'd be responsible for putting together A1, B1 and all inside news pages. You would not have to build classifieds, legals, or place any ads. Our office manager handles that. It doesn't matter when you start designing, but the paper needs to be PDFed and FTPed to the press by 11 a.m. Wednesday.

-Covering city council and county commissioners court meetings. You'd have at least one of each of these during this time period. County commission is Monday morning. City Council is Tuesday night.

-Coordinating with the office to edit content from contributors. This includes taking stats/scores from coaches and writing sports briefs.

-Coordinating with our freelance photographers.

If you're in a position to commit to those two weeks, let me know and let's see if we can work something out. Not sure what the compensation will be, but it will likely be my paycheck for that time period, which I won't post here.

DM me if you're interested and I'll pass your info along to Miles Smith, the editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted