1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance credential question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by azbjn9101, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Years ago, I worked at a 100,000 circulation paper where we only covered some games of the state school 100 miles away. Covered the state school in our home circulation home and away.
    The 100-mile-away school made the NCAA, and wasn't expected to go far. Didn't apply for credentials before the tournament.
    Wanted to cover the Final Four. Turned down. Even the school's former AD, who was high-ranking with NCAA couldn't help.
    The school won the NCAA title. Used wire services. But did do fan stories, and cover the welcome home.

You'd think with more and more papers not covering the Final Four, it would loosen up.

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

You seem to favor bandwagon journalism.

Our team (that we cover) is expected to suck, so don't expect us to hop on a plane for what is expected to be a blowout.

Wait? The locals are still alive? Gimme a credential pronto, damnit! I wanna be there for the last stand (Final Four).

3. Notepad

Notepad Member

How clueless the first post in this thread is makes me cringe about the people attempting to try to get into this once proud industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted