1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelance copy editing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm talking to an editor for a regional magazine later today about doing some copy editing on contract. How do people charge for that? By the word count or a flat rate or by the hour?
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine did some magazine editing and charged by the word. Forgot how much it was though.
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've done it by the hour.
  4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Charge by the hour.
  5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what kind of editing you're talking about.

First read, heavy lifting editing where you have to turn bad copy into something decent charge by the hour. The freelancing types say three times your current or last hourly wage is the best way to figure your starting point.

If it is a second read and more putting a polish on the copy, you could charge by the article or, again, charge by the hour.

If it is more proofing, like reading a PDF pages before they go to press, charge by the page.

A friend of mine just got a part-time/freelancing gig for a magazine and he's, of course, doing none of those things. He's getting paid a regular wage but is also being provided gear and comped travel to events for coverage since he's also writing for them.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So if I charge by the word, does $20-25 per 1,000 sound about right?
Draft saved Draft deleted