1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom Tower - WTC replacement

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 25, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Put up a big-ass building, create a nice memorial, do both, whatever -- just DO SOMETHING, for God's sakes.

For me, there is nothing more indicative of the pettiness that can pop up in this country than this shit. Five years and nothing.

I'll tell you, though, I watched a show on Discovery Channel about how they would build this building. It would take one of a hell of an attack to put a dent in that thing. The first 10 floors are essentially a big ass ball of concrete. It would absorb the 9-11 attacks with barely a sway.

2. JackS

JackS Member

Amen. Called it the "macho mentality of a city and country just begging for another attack" in another thread.

Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

That's my 3000 cents from 2 miles away.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Give me a second on Photoshop, and it'll be giving the world the shocker.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I've got no strong opinions one way or the other about the name, design, height, etc. But I can say with a fair amount of confidence that the building will be attacked. As important a symbol as it will be to us, it'll be more symbolic to al Qaeda -- and that kind of symbolism is what those bastards get off on. That doesn't mean we shouldn't build it or build it tall; just understand that, upon completion, it'll be one of the primary targets in the country.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

by the time this building is completed, al-Qaeda may be fragmented into a bunch of ineffective splinter groups. The 1970s had Black September, a Palestinian group and the 80s had some radical gang in Germany. Those are both footnotes in history.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I watched a special on 9-11 last night and got to thinking - what is going on with these buildings? Are they up?

7. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.nyc-tower.com/

Updates here, Poin.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Couldn't you have just started a new thread as opposed to digging up a two-year old one?

9. markvid

markvid Guest

It's the same subject - that never bothers me.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

My question is why is it being built? I really don't get it. If it's being built as a useful building, OK. If it's being built as a shrine to those who perished, why not put a plaque there? It's been seven years. It's time to move on. I know it sounds cold but the world has not stopped since 911.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

That was also a sever blow to the economy of lower Manhattan.
    I don't remember the exact occupancy rate of the WTC, but I do remember it being above 70%.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

FWIW, "City in the Sky" (written by two NY Times reporters) was a fascinating look at the twin towers' entire existence, from the pre-construction controversy (you think eminent domain is abused nowadays!) to the initial unpopularity (virtually none of the offices were rented early on, which is why your post made me think of it), to a detailed look at the collapses. Excellent read.

Draft saved Draft deleted