1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom of the press, not in the EU

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shoeless Joe, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

PARIS (AP) — Former motor racing boss Max Mosley argued Tuesday that a tabloid that splashed lurid stories about his sexual exploits on the Internet had a responsibility to warn him, as a European court heard a case that could change the face of British journalism.

Mosley won a privacy suit against the News of the World for its 2008 story claiming he participated in an hours-long Nazi-themed orgy with five prostitutes. But, despite a payout from the newspaper, he has now turned to the European Court of Human Rights, saying British courts must better protect personal privacy.

If Mosley wins, the court could require the U.K. government to pass a law forcing the press to warn people about stories that could harm their privacy — and potentially allowing them to ask a court to prevent the material’s publication.

wow ....
  2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Europe has a democratic facade, but is controlled by bureaucrats who can force individual states to kowtow to their will.
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mosley's suit was good at first, but then it went too far.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me. The U.S. frustrates me with attitudes regarding free speech and press, but we have it great even compared to other Western countries.
  5. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

As a crime/courts reporter, that's scary stuff. As much as people complain that our freedoms are eroding, I still have the freedom to rove through public records and ask tough questions without fear of real legal reprisal. I hope that never changes.
  6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Yeah, I don't know how many times someone will call in "I got arrested for (insert whatever). I don't want that in the paper."
    I heard our cops guy tell someone on the phone once, "Then you shouldn't have done it."
  7. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I've done that once or twice.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Are court proceedings still considered public in Britain?

If they are, then let the guy bring his lawsuit, then report all of the details of the court case.

"We weren't publishing the lurid details of his sex life, Your Honor. We were publishing his lawsuit, in which he, himself, brought up his sex life."
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The irony here is that I think Hitler himself had a similar policy about publication of photos of Nazis engaged in orgies with prostitutes.
Draft saved Draft deleted