1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom/OCR employees have been warned

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gravehunter, Feb 13, 2016.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is Digital First staffing the pro sports teams in LA with reporters from both OCR and the LANG papers?

2. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Haven't had a chance to check the other beats, but it looks like last night's Dodger game in Atlanta was only staffed by the LANG reporter, JP Hoornstra. Not sure what that means for OCR's Bill Plunkett, who does a great job (including more consistently great leads than just about any beat writer I know) ... but I'm not thinking it's good.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

No decisions have been made on this. It seems Hoornstra had purchased his airline tickets before Plunkett did, so they let him do this trip. That is all at this time. Agree on Plunkett's ledes.

4. LanceyHoward

I am just checking in on this. Are the OCR and the LANG group operating separate editorial staffs or has a merger occurred? Are people losing jobs?

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Seems pretty merged to me. Bylines all over the place.

6. LanceyHoward

How many people have lost jobs?

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Seems to me, at least on the sports side, losses have been minimal or none at all. I expected big cuts, too, with all the apparent redundancies covering the pro and college beats, but that hasn't been the case.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

In sports it looks like cuts have been minimal, one here, one there. One person left and was replaced. It also appears that all the papers are being produced as they had been, but all of them have access to all of the material.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Many years ago when I worked at the Sun/IVDB, we had pro and college copy from the LADN writers, plus local prep copy and our own auto racing copy. I produced the fronts and jumps for each paper each night, which sucked because at that time the IVDB always had a 1-inch strip ad along the bottom. And because the Sun would have four or more pages than the IVDB, figuring out the jumps and getting in everything that needed to run sucked.

I wasn't surprised the Sun moved into new offices because the downtown office had rats -- big ones -- bats and homeless dudes pissing on the street. But I wonder if that building is even part of LANG anymore.

I liked many of the people with whom I worked, but I don't miss the Inland Empire at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted