1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom/OCR employees have been warned

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gravehunter, Feb 13, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

DF's game plan is putting out a paper just a bit cruddier than their existing subscribers care to read. They make their profit on the time between putting out the product and however long it takes subscribers and advertisers to figure out it will never get better.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any idea what the staffing was pre Digital First. Though, in fairness to Digital First, the OCR appears to be bleeding cash.

3. LanceyHoward

The 45 million is deceptive. The OCR has sold the building but I read they still own 11 acres of land around the headquarters. Most estimates I read said that could be worth as much as 40 million. So Digital First can sell off the land and recoup a lot of their investment.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's an appropriate date indeed. Same date in 1999 when Uncle Lean Dean walked into the San Bernardino Sun offices after Gannett went into the fetal position and bailed out of SoCal (excluding Palm Springs). A dark day and two months later, in June 1999, there were like 35-40 staffers who left a once-vibrant newsroom for greener pastures, mostly 10 miles to the south.

To think bitter rivals SBS and RPE are now under one umbrella was never imagined to have happened. And, no, Digital First has no clue on what to do with what they have "won," and it was will get screwed up beyond reproach.

5. LanceyHoward

Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange and San Diego counties have a combined population of more than 20 million. What is the largest daily newspaper not owned by the Tribune Company or Digital First in the region? Is there one?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  6. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Probably Ventura (Journal Media Group, soon to be Gannett) and Palm Springs (Gannett). Both around 50,000 circ, I think, though those numbers could be out of date.

7. LanceyHoward

I wonder if Gannett, having sold SoCal papers to Digital before, will do so again. Given the emphasis Gannett is placing on regionalization, as evidenced by the Journal Media acquistion, I believe that the standalone papers such as Montgomery, Ft. Collins, etc. get sold.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Santa Barbara News-Press is locally owned, but its a flustercluck.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Even Ventura and Palm Springs, while in the same TV market, really are on the outside of the core newspaper groups. But, yes, this is a Tribune/Digital First market now.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

In today's OCR it was announced Mark Whicker was returning to the paper and you'd see his stuff from the Masters.

I first thought "Wow, good get"... then I remembered where he was (LA Daily News) and thought "Well, of COURSE that's why he's back." :)

Old Time Hockey and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Personally (though, I guess I'm biased), I'd be more surprised to see Gannett sell its papers on an island. As Gannett tries to build out the USA Today Network, it needs more papers in more regions.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Property already sold for $34 million, meaning the newspapers -- OCR and the RPE -- sold for $15.8 million. And this comes just 2-1/2 years after the genius duo of Aaron Kushner and Eric Spitz bought the RPE alone for $27.5 million.

Register land already flipped, making papers a real bargain

Draft saved Draft deleted