1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom/OCR employees have been warned

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gravehunter, Feb 13, 2016.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What an absolute abortion this has been.

LANG *really* needs this to happen from a print standpoint, as stated earlier. If it goes through, LADN will be running this ship. RPE will become like the Redlands Daily Facts and the San Bernardino Sun and Inland Valley Daily Bulletin -- just another bureau/copycat of all the other publications.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

My question is: What's Digital First's interest in purchasing properties? A year ago, it was selling off properties and has been looking to get rid of some more. Did something change that I missed, or is this a purchase with the goal to sell?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It needed it because it's printing half its papers at the OCR. If the Tribune got its hands on the OCR -- and the presses -- then Digital First would be up a creek.

And with all the cuts that have been made to Digital First's flagship, the Denver Post, I wonder if seeing them plop down $45 million for these two papers was enough for Greg Moore to finally jump ship.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

5. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

OCR had no clue what to do with the PE at first, so why should LANG/SCNG/Initials To Be Named Later be any different?

6. ChrisLong

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

8. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

9. Tahoe_Joe

Tahoe_Joe Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Where is the DOJ when you need them?

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Next up: Goodbye, fat Saturday paper. I predict that paper gets about half its space slashed on the weekends.

12. ChrisLong

Here is the OC Weekly report:

Have you ever seen your friend get their ass kicked, then had the attacker try to sidle up to you and buy you a drink before he kicks your ass? That's exactly what's going to happen this morning, when top executives with Digital First Media, the new owners of the Orange County Register, have scheduled an all-hands town hall at 9 a.m., a day after Digital First laid off more than 90 employees.

OC Register's New Owners to Meet Reporters Today Before Further Gutting the Paper

Draft saved Draft deleted