1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom Communications sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jun 11, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Private equity firm 2100 Trust

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/trust-358319-times-last.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Orange County Register sold

Private equity ownership has been such a godsend in San Diego.

Good luck to everyone in OC, but seriously, get the fuck out NOW.

3. MileHigh

Better than an earlier potential buyer: MediaNews.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy -- I don't even know if that's true. Of course, MediaNews and private equity are one and the same now, so you may be right.

5. MileHigh

Keeping Uncle Dean out of the OC is a good thing if only to avoid further collapsing at LANG, which I'm hearing is about to undergo lots more deconstructing.

6. MileHigh

It's all of Freedom and includes: Desert Dispatch in Barstow, Calif.; The Gazette in Colorado Springs; the Marysville (Calif.) Appeal-Democrat; The Porterville Record in Porterville, Calif.; the Victorville (Calif.) Daily Press; and The Sun in Yuma, Ariz.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/freedom-communications-to-be-acquired-by-2100-trust-llc-2012-06-11

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

It blows my mind how short the list of Freedom's (former, I guess) papers is now. Even fleeing journalism (from a Freedom paper) four years ago, I did not think they'd be in this position this soon. Though after talking to a couple of folks still in Yuma a couple of weekends ago, it seemed like everyone was just waiting for this shoe to drop.

My thoughts are with everybody at these shops. I hope something positive comes out of this, or at least that the landing is as soft as possible.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No place to go but up, eh?

I'm beginning to think you're not a real journalist until you've been fired/laid off at least once. Sort of like a running joke one place I lived that you weren't an official resident until you got your first DUI (which, thankfully, I never did).

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Of the potential purchasers of Freedom, I'm guessing the folks at the OCR couldn't have hoped for a better one than who they got.

http://www.laobserved.com/biz/2012/06/meet_the_registers_n.php

Draft saved Draft deleted