1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Wi-Fi Coming to Starbucks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 14, 2010.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I don't know why everyone rags on Starbucks for their prices. I've found they're no different than any other chain around here. At least over the past few years, of course. I think ever since McDonalds exploded in the market, Starbucks has had to respond and I haven't paid more than $2 or $3 for a large coffee in years.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Panera could differentiate itself a lot more by not serving shitty coffee and by not charging 8 bucks for an appetizer-sized sandwich.

And Starbucks coffee isn't overpriced. A medium coffee at Starbucks is the same price as a medium at Dunkin Donuts is the same price as a medium at McDonald's. If you're getting the pumpkin soy cinnamon hazelnut almond no-whip frappuccino latte americano mochaccino with three pumps, it's overpriced. Coffee is the same as everywhere else. It just seems overpriced because it has better decor.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can get a hot chocolate from a gas station for like 89 cents. A hot chocolate at Starbucks, a smaller size, is like $3. And they don't taste any better.

Except for the sea salt caramel hot chocolate, which is heaven in a cup.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But Starbucks is a responsible and ethical company that is helping to create a better world. What is your local gas station owner doing other than ruining the ground water from his leaking tanks and hiring part time terrorists to pump his filthy gas.

Think of your $3 expenditure as a way to help Starbucks help us all.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, I hate how pretentious Starbucks is. I've only gone into a store like three times. Once with a coworker, once with my mom and once to pick up a coffee on the way into the office for a coworker. I'll stop at a kiosk in the mall, where you're not surrounded by their heavy-handedness and hipster shit.

6. Crash

Crash Active Member

I stopped in the Starbucks near the Farragut North station in DC one day before work because I was thirsty. I had just moved to DC about three weeks before and they were doing construction on the exterior of the station. I saw the Starbucks so I went in and ordered a Coke, only to find out that Starbucks doesn't have soft drinks.

It's the only time I've ever been in a Starbucks and the only time I'll ever be in a Starbucks.

What kind of place doesn't sell soft drinks? Hell, the International Grocery Store down the street from me, which is so international you can't get anything remotely resembling American food, has a fountain Coke machine.

7. CR19

CR19 Member

`
    Starbucks probably had soft drinks, but with long and useless names. Did you happen to ask for a deici?

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

And it's a medium, not venti, dammit!

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My office is right next to Starbucks and picks up signal. Thinking of dumping my connection. Thank you Starbucks.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If get two, is it a ventus?

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hate Starbucks, but damn, the vanilla frappa-whatever is one fucking delicious milkshake.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They must have put the exception to the Panera rule near me. The sandwiches there are huge and reasonably priced. Coffee is good there, too. They do limit you to 60 minutes of Internet from 11:30-1:30 but I don't go to Panera to use the Internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted