1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Wi-Fi Coming to Starbucks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 14, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not at the schools, but at the students homes.

It will widen the gap between those with and those without, and make this gap even harder to close.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've got two within 10 minutes of my front door, and the wi-fi at both appear to be powered by a AAA battery that was last replaced in 1989.

If I'm on the road and need 30 minutes on my laptop, I'll take the peace and quiet of Starbucks over the screaming brats at McD's or BK anyday. A Courtyard by Marriott is a strong runner-up choice.

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

I go to Panera to use wi-fi all the time. When I used to cover preps, two of the schools were right around the corner from a Panera. I'd write the story in the press box, get in the car and file it from Panera's parking lot.

Of course, I wouldn't buy a damn thing from Panera. It's overpriced garbage.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yes I know you meant at students homes. And again, there are much bigger issues than whether or not a kid has high-speed Internet at home.

If they don't have it, they probably have a lot bigger issues to worry about.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I would rather get a coffee from the local 7-11 and sit in the library rather than drink Stabucks.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A lot of the Panera's that I have gone into seem to be cutting their WiFi access to 1 hour. After that, your mac address can't hit their server for about an hour or so. That sucks.

7. CR19

CR19 Member

Let's see how long it takes for Peter King to mention this in one of his stories.

8. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

Regarding Panera... I've been going in there a lot to apply for jobs. I usually just buy a plain bagel, no cream cheese and get a cup of tap water with a lemon wedge. Total cost: 99 cents plus tax and the internet stays on as long as I'm there. It's great that Starbucks is finally getting with it and offering free wi-fi.

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

Tap water is about the only thing Panera has that's consumable.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The coffee and bagels are not half bad at Panera. The sammies, though, are shit.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Dumb Starbucks aside. When in China adopting our son a couple of years ago, sitting outside the Guangzhou Starbucks and mooching off their free wifi was the way I kept in touch with the world.

Had never realized Starbucks didn't have free wifi ... then again, I'm not much of an overpriced coffee drinker :).

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The scenery is good at both places.

Pretty mommies eat lunch at Panera.

Draft saved Draft deleted