1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free-throw violations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by apeman33, Dec 10, 2008.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It happened again last night and I thought at the very least, the board could lead me to where to get an answer....

When the defensive team does it, it's nothing (no attempt) because the shooter gets another try. But what is it when the offensve team does it? Is it a missed attempt, then a team/deadball rebound for the defense or no attempt? If it's no attempt, do I score a turnover? The offense had it until the violation, then the defense is awarded the ball after it happens.

I open the floor...

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

No attempt. If its the second (or third, if it's on a 3-point attempt) free throw, or the front end of a 1-and-1, it's a turnover. If it's the first (first or second on a 3-point attempt), it's nothing.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Who is the turnover charged to? The FT shooter or the person stepping in the lane? Am I correct in assuming the shooter, since he has the ball?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The shooter, if he commits the violation (steps over the line).

Otherwise, the guy who commits the violation.

Likewise, turnovers are charged to the player who commits a 3-second violation, not the guy with the ball in his hand.

5. expendable

Thanks. Using the three-second violation as an example makes it make sense.

6. Nola4520

Nola4520 Member

From the 2009 NCAA BKB stat manual ...

A.R. 5. Allen is at the free-throw line to shoot a free throw. After Allen is given the ball, (a) Adams steps into the lane before Allen can shoot; (b) Brown steps into the lane before Allen can shoot; (c) Allen steps over the line before shooting; or (d) Allen fails to shoot within 10 seconds.

RULING: In all cases, do not charge Allen with a FTA. In (a), charge Adams with a turnover unless Team A retains the ball. In (c) and (d), charge Allen with a turnover unless Team A retains the ball.

7. expendable

So, if Allen commits a lane violation on the second shot of an intentional foul, he's not charged with a turnover.

Draft saved Draft deleted