1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Slurpee Day!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lone_Star_Speed, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I used to buy Slurpees just to get the baseball coins on the bottom. Remember those? You'd turn it and it would show Cal Ripken swinging. Cool.

2. I have. Thanks for asking.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Why would I need to PM you?

You made a mistake and I corrected it. That, apparently, upset you a great deal. It also lead to a productive discussion of common mistakes in usage in the English language.

I'm sorry you got bent out of shape, but I think we've got a productive thread going here.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hey Zeke, thanks for the tutorial. Can you please give more comparisons of the difference between irony and coincidence?

5. boots

boots New Member

Zeke save the apology and the bullshit. You corrected me on useage. Cool. But you were acting like a dick. You know it. End of discussion.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

boots --

If you can show where I acted like a dick on this thread, go ahead. Otherwise, I'd appreciate an apology for the repeated name calling.

Gola --

Here's an interesting thing about irony -- it isn't ever inherent, so using the phrase "inherently ironic" is also incorrect. I've been guilty of making that mistake. But irony requires that the audience find something ironic -- that is, it requires confounding their expectations.

7. boots

boots New Member

I'll apologize just as soon as you admit that your actions were warranted and are done on a daily basis. Do that and you'll get what you desire and we will have a clear slate.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, Zeke, admit your actions are warranted and are done on a daily basis. I believe your actions are warranted. Am I alone?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think you mean unwarranted.

war·rant (wôr'ənt, wŏr'-) Pronunciation Key
    n.
    Authorization or certification; sanction, as given by a superior.
    Justification for an action or a belief; grounds: "He almost gives his failings as a warrant for his greatness" (Garry Wills).

But, since you don't want to apologize for the name calling, I think you are absolutely right.

This should end the discussion between you and I on this topic. See you around the boards.

10. boots

boots New Member

When you apologize, I will apologize. Not before.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Then our discussion is at an end.

Now, I have to run to the men's room and perform one of my warranted daily actions.

12. Definitely warranted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.