1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free-range kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Jan 15, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yep. When I was a kid, the only parents who stuck around were the pushy ones. There'd usually be 4 or 5 lawn chairs along the sideline and generally a couple of dads coaching from there. My parents were sometimes involved in the league boards or whatever, so they were generally there, but otherwise we'd just walk to practice by ourselves. I walked a heal-mile or so to school with my slightly older sisters from the time I was 5 or 6. There weren't really a lot of major roads around, so it was fairly safe. I don't understand the need to coddle kids like they want us to these days.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We draped our baseball gloves over our Stingray handle bars and rode to practice, starting around age 8. The only rule was to get home when the street lights turned on. Otherwise, we were expected to be outside playing. My dad would get pissed off if he came home from the factory and one of us was watching TV, or if our chores weren't done. Of course, I wouldn't want my kids doing some of the sort of dangerous stuff I did, either.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we'd come home from school and maybe watch The Monkees or The Brady Bunch for a bit. But we were pretty much ALWAYS outside.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about this. Don't like the government telling me what to do.

That said, over the past 25 years, the worst place for free range kids was probably State College, PA.

Draft saved Draft deleted