1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Lance Media Credentials

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wordman, Mar 23, 2012.

1. wordman

wordman New Member

I am having trouble getting free lance credentials through MLB. Any advice on how to go about it or is it just certain teams that don't credential individuals?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Did the publication/editor you are working for put in the request?

3. wordman

wordman New Member

I have requested them to do so. I was wondering if there was another way. I am new to free lancing and was wondering if there was a way to expedite the situation. Also have a sports photographer who ohas their own studio but doens't work for the paper that was wanting to be credentialed. I didn't know if everyone that is credentialed had to be officially tied to an organization or not.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. I use a lot of freelancers and I request for credentials for them and detail the assignment. I can't think of any pro organization, or college for that matter, that will credential you just because.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If they want you to cover a team, the SE needs to get on the ball and do it. If the organization requesting credentials is known by the team's media relations staff, getting credentials could be tough.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mail fraud? PEDs?

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Moddy, I am huge in the freelance market here (if I do say so myself) and I annually get full-season credentials from two of the local pro teams because they know me and they know I'll have an assignment for pretty much every game.

But I only have that because I am very well established here. For someone just starting out, like wordman, you'll have to get credentials through the outlet that's hiring you.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They won't credential the Fredericksburg, Va., newspaper?

... As da man said, the only way freelancers traditionally get credentials without a media organization's assistance is based on reputation and standing with the team.

9. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

What if you're starting a blog and want to be credentialed?

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Cover the NHL. Not the MLB.

A couple of years ago when I started out as an SE at a weekly paper, I expanded the sports coverage to include a few feature stories now and then from regional sports team in order to appeal to readers who aren't into the local high school or college scene. The MLB has an online credential request system for each team, and the team you're covering has to create an account for your publication to verify your organization. A couple of phone calls and a few tear sheets late, my publication had an account, and we covered the occasional game.

The local NFL team did not service weeklies.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Get cable or satellite, and get the Extra Innings or MLB.tv package, plus a comfy chair.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What if I want a Free Tiffany?

Draft saved Draft deleted