1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Bill Simmons!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 14, 2013.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Do we have that kind of luck?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

That idea reminds me of the skit where Eddie Murphy convinced interviewer Joe Piscopo that the Beatles had stolen all of his songs and kicked him out of the band.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That, and he's half the talent of Olbermann.

Bill Simmons has led a charmed life. Rarely are 40% of the ideas in our lives indulged by our bosses. Simmons is batting somewhere around 90%. ESPN let him do a cartoon strip. It lets him run a site fueled by Mad Men recaps and inside NBA chatter. You'd think he'd recognize how good he's had it. It's close to Chris Berman good.

4. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

He's also been freaking brilliant with some of his stuff. He's a top-10 writer in the world, Grantland is awesome, 30 for 30 is amazing and he's not bad on TV.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yep.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I like Simmons writing and as mentioned up thread, I think he has to find hi TV legs. That being said Magic is horrible and kills any rhythm the show gets going. I would love to see a good discussion and more than 15 second bites but Magic is unwatchable.

Wilbon seems disengagaed and I don't hink Rose is a strong enough presence to act as the host who keeps everything moving.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I do think Jalen is strong enough. I think he hosted a few times this season, and those were strong pregames.

Would love to see him lead next year's show.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Brilliant? I just have a different standard for "brilliant" than you do. And we'll just differ on everything in the second sentence except the comment about TV. He's easily the most enjoyable of that otherwise humorless quartet. (Side note: 30 for 30 was indeed a good idea by Simmons. I'm not going to call the series amazing.)

It's not so much that I disagree with Simmons about the First Take thing or the NBA studio show thing. It's that he wigged over a fairly lame joke.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Wilbon investing so much in the TV side has been personally profitable for him, I'm sure, but, man, what a loss on the writing side.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Still don't understand why Wilbon isn't the actual host of the NBA shows -- to do the welcomes/commercial breaks.

You shouldn't notice an in-game host -- until you notice there isn't one.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Because of my age and location, I didn't really read him until about a decade ago, when he had already begun finding celebrity through Pardon the Interruption. But I regularly read him (along with all the Post's columnists) for his final five-plus years in the newspaper industry. He was the worst the Post had in its Boswell-Wise-Jenkins-Wilbon columnist roster. Everything he wrote was either a knee-jerk reaction with heavy moralizing or a pat on the back to one of his athlete friends, which could also describe his work as an analyst.

I'm sure he wasn't always like that, though.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Remember when Wlibon blamed Sean Taylor for dying in his own home invasion?

Draft saved Draft deleted