1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Bill Simmons!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

For once I'm on Bill's side. He's a genuine talent, and the Bayless-Smith show is a clown act. ESPN's pretensions to not being part of the Disney protofascist culture are becoming thinner by the moment.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He might have some talent, but he's not genuine talent.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

How awesome is it that they won't fire Bayless because it would hurt the business?

I mean, come on, can't we all enjoy that?

Have we lost the will to laugh, to live?

I know it's the 21st century but check your magazines and think about whether you really want to empty them.

4. someone like bill simmons getting his knuckles rapped for "tweets unbecoming of the corporation" or whatever would seem to do more to erode the facade of media credibility than, say, a dad covering his kid's high school baseball team for a small paper.... and that thread is pushing five pages. fight the good fight people!

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is no disagreement with someone criticizing ESPN.

Move along, people.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Chris Jones ‏@MySecondEmpire

"Tiger," said Lindsay, "you never heard such cheering." "Yes I have," Tiger answered. "In a parking lot at a Perkins."

Jonesy better watch out. The ESPN brass will take away his twitter privileges.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be curious how many ESPN suspensions/firings we can list for criticizing ESPN...

TJ Simers canned from ATH for ripping the show in an article.
    Jason Whitlock fired for criticizing Scoop Jackson and others in interview with The Big Lead.
    Keith Olbermann suspended for ripping ESPN on The Daily Show (when Kilby hosted...)

I know Kornheiser used to have weekly issues when his radio show was still on ESPN Radio (pre PTI). I can't remember if he was ever suspended though...

John Feinstein was banned (in part) for his criticisms of the Season on the Brink movie. I'm sure there have been other issues...

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Kornheiser was suspended from PTI for commenting on Hannah Storm's schoolgirl outfit.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Don't forget, La Bamba got suspended for the cut-and-paste capers.

Oh, wait ...

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

LOLZ.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I suspect a second suspension might be coming.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/bill-simmons-blasts-sportscenter/?sf13935787=1

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Simmons might be over his head on that show. He has such a shallow, soft voice and he never ever seems to take command during a conversation with Magic or Jalen. You have these 2 large black dudes -- outspoken -- and a shrinky-dink white boy trying to add his wits and it just gets drowned out every single time.

Thing is, Bill, I want to HEAR what you're saying. Speak up! He could learn a lot from watching Bob Ryan from his days on the Sports Reporters, once Bob got his speaking legs. I didn't like Bob at first but he got pretty comfortable -- perhaps when he shaved his 'stache -- learned to enunciate a little better and spoke with conviction.

I stopped watching NBA Countdown mostly because Bill killed the flow of almost every conversation.

Draft saved Draft deleted