1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Advertising,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Mar 20, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I guess my concern on this was whether objective writers should be in cahoots with the tournament and its sponsors. I guess, from the response here, that that's largely a moot point.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Cahoots? That's like saying they're in cahoots with the arena by wearing pants. It's not like they're required to use at least one Coca-Cola® trademark in every lede they write or every radio/TV segment.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

"I'm sorry. You're wearing the wrong brand of pants to be allowed courtside. Please remove them and wear these pants, provided by Powerade, the official pants of the NCAA tournament. Yes, they look like jammies with the Powerade logo all over them, but it's your own fault for wearing the wrong pants. Please change now."

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

You're very much right. As I said, I don't know why it matters so much to me. I think it's mostly because I haven't been asked permission to have their brand plastered all over the place. But then again...

If that were to happen, then how would you feel?

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Does not bow to any sponsor.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Pretty sure if anyone actually tried that no one would cover their games, no matter how big. The line is drawn somewhere but not at cups.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

You're already speaking in hypotheticals anyway. Don't know why you can't take that next step and answer the question without dismissing it.

8. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

This would constitute a significant upgrade for some sportswriters' wardrobe.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I always thought it was weird at Colorado State for basketball.

The school is "sponsored" by Pepsi, but the Pepsi products given in the hospitality room must be poured into a Gatorade cup before you can take it to press row. Doesn't make sense to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted