1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Advertising,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Mar 20, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Here's my question. Has there ever, in the entire history of sport, been an instance where someone, somewhere has gone "Gee, honey, you know, I didn't really feel like buying a powerade but look at that logo there. I suddenly have the urge to pick one up."

And, if that has happened, it is really a common enough occurrence to warrant the amount of money these brands pay?

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I think it's about keeping up keeping up brand awareness. Cameras catch all those logos and the product continues to stay in the mind of consumers who see it.

At least I believe that's the theory

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Cups aren't that big of a deal. It's not like they're making you wear a T-shirt or a cap (or a photographer's vest with logos all over it, as the NFL mandated in 2007).

And, as someone astutely pointed out, no one is making you accept the free beverage. Bring some duct tape or smuggle a water bottle inside your computer bag, and move on with life.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I see what you did there.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This always irritated me as well. I got to bringing one of those coffee warmth shields with me from the local gas station - it's nothing more than a plain brown wrap - to games to put on the cups, which I drank water out of. It's not necessarily an objectivity issue; it's just that I don't want to endorse any product I don't necessarily drink. (Why, I don't know. Honestly can't explain it.)

One of the schools I cover, though, gives out its media passes with a company logo on the lanyard, one at the bottom of the media badge itself "The 2010 season proudly sponsored by (Local foodmart)" and a third on the parking pass. I never wear that lanyard, and since the credential and parking pass were both black this year, electrical tape worked nicely.

6. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

What kind of cookie do you want? The brand essentially pays to own that particular venue. If you break it that is breaking more of an ethical code to me. It's their building you must following their rules. You are there, sitting courtside, because they let you be. You aren't endorsing crap. Thinking you are, and that people care, by simply using a cup with a logo (or lanyard) makes me think you are pretty full of yourself. Probably going to far but seriously getting so uptight about a cup you use for free drinks provided by the team is pointless. No one looks at press row and cares what logo is on your cup. It's common sense that the cup is provided and you, yourself aren't endorsing anything.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sadly.....

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

You want Pepsi? YOU CAN'T HANDLE PEPSI

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Which is why there aren't guards at media entrances checking what you're bringing in and stacks of cups for media members to use, right?

Flip, I believe I was at the same tournament as you.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If it means that much, don't cover the games from the venue. Watch the game on TV, use your own beverage container, and get quotes from the televised press conference. At least you'll have a clear conscience.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Even 20 years later, some people can't let the Cola Wars go...

12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Two sponsors, one cup.

Draft saved Draft deleted