1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freddy Adu Traded to Real Salt Lake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

When a player on your squad is sold you receive an allocation. Thus, part of this deal, which doesn't make sense to me, includes the caveat that after Adu is sold to Europe DCU will receive part of that allocation.

Also, MLS' rules are rather convoluted so the giving and receiving of allocations occurs arbitrarily.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The real winners in this deal? Xango.

An energy drink/suppliment company that paid pre-Adu money to get its logo on the RSL jerseys.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But they wouldn't get another designated player spot since that was part of the deal to DC, right?

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I wonder how that will play out with Adu's current sponsorship deal with Pepsi's Sierra Mist.

GB-Hack, DCU did not obtain a designated player spot. They received allocation money. They are different. Each year teams received allocation money. This only enables teams to sign foreign players below the salary cap.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

They still play soccer in America?

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Much ado about nothing.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

ha!

Adu buys his No. 11 jersey from an RSL player. The price? A PS3.

8. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I can't believe I even called up this post.
    It's soccer. I don't care. Never have. Never will.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That is awesome.

I just feel bad for RSL. Their management seem to be making this move solely for the attendance boost to push for a new stadium.

Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't realize you were asked. You did have a choice in the matter. It isn't like you were unaware that Freddy Adu and Real Salt Lake would translate to a soccer conversation. What did you expect when you clicked? Maybe you thought it was a thread on swimming. Maybe it was horse racing.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Handball, Pastor. I think he thought it was handball.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Soccer Siberia.

Sucks to be this youngster, who the media annointed way too early. And whose head just got bigger and bigger.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Don't know about Siberia. RSL was near the top in MLs attendence and was semi-competitive. And, like virtually every other urban/suburban metro area, there are soccer leagues and soccer kids all over the place.

Draft saved Draft deleted