1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fred Thompson's third behind Rudy, McCain in Gallup survey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 27, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Fred also taught Cole and Rowdy a thing or two. Even made them ride together on the way to dinner.

2. His candidacy needs a Japanese inspection.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

"Then who's VICE-President? Jerry Lewis? I suppose Jane Wyman is the First Lady!
    And Jack Benny, the Secretary of the Treasury. " [Doc Emmitt Brown]

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Who's the president? That guy from Death Valley Days ... John Wayne."

5. He's already the titular head of the party.

[​IMG]

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Nice, Fenian...very nice.

He also does lead-ins to Paul Harvey spots.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Alas, the guy from Focus on the Family doesn't think Fred Thompson is a Christian. And thousands of lemmings just crossed him off their ballot.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/070328/28dobson.htm

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Newt Gingrich... a family-values candidate endorsed by Dobson. ::)

I can't believe I just typed the above sentence without spewing liquid on my screen in utter disbelief.

It's the ultimate reality show: holding up a mirror to people who don't see their own reflection.

I'm hardly a Republican, but it'd be great for Thompson to get the nomination just to provide the ultimate F-U to Dobson and his repugnant ilk.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if you say you are a Christian, you're good no matter what.

If you go to church, don't lie and cheat on your three wives but don't broadcast your faith, you're not Christian.

Oy, vey.

No wonder Jimmy Carter told the Southern Baptist Convention to take a hike.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

The problem for any Republican candidate is they have to take a position on the war. McCain stepped up in support of the increase in troops, and he has suffered in the polls ever since. Rudy seems on the upswing, but he is going to face the questions and, if history is any guide, will lose his temper and his lead.

There was a time back before 24-hour news networks, 24-hour fundraising requirements, and winter primaries where it was seen as bad form for a presidential candidate declaring too early because the would look to ambitious. The office had to seek the man, or at least create that image. Eisenhower in 52 was an example, and nobody openly declared early in the year before the election until Jimmy Carter did so before the 1976 election.

I mention that bit of political history because there may be a similar dynamic at work in this election. Let everybody else punch each other out and then enter later. Gingrich (and maybe Thompson) seems to be doing that in the Republican primary, and Al Gore might do the same thing for the Democrats.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That is such an incredibly vomitous comparison. Gingrich is better than Thompson? This group pretty much told me everything else I need to know about it.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It's Rudy's to lose.

Draft saved Draft deleted