1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fred Taylor: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jul 11, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Obviously he was never better than LT, most seasons he was not better than Priest Holmes. He wasn't better than Faulk, C Martin or E George. In some seasons he wasn't better than E James or S Alexander. He accumulated more than both. If he was a top 3 RB or top 5 every year, that's HOF. He's not HOF.

2. cjericho

A 10-0 lead with the Giants defense then usually was a huge lead. Also was tough to throw in that Stadium with the weather and wind. His best receiver probably was Bavaro and that was only for a few seasons.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

To your first point, were David Patten, Troy Brown, David Givens world beaters? Check out the Pats receivers in 2006. Welker was good with Miami, but became something else with the Pats. Edelman was a QB from a mid-major. Moss, Gronk, and Hernandez were great talents, but other than them Tom Brady wasn't given a lot. Receivers tend to look pretty good when their QB has great talents.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

So you're saying Tom Brady might be a Hall of Famer too? Kidding, but I get your point. Still, there is a difference between Ron Jaworski and Mike Quick making each look better for a couple of years than Bobby Johnson scoring crack on the morning of the NFC title game.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is if he had his best season in any other year, he would've easily been top 5 at least once.

6. cjericho

Can agree with that. It's strange looking at his career, when you see a guy played 13 seasons as a RB you think he was a durable workhorse. Guess he never had any real serious injuries, just enough to cause him to miss a few games just about every season.

7. Roman Gabriel? Hall of Fame?
    Phil Sims is comparable to Montana, Fouts AND Marino?
    The Giants - with Anderson, Morris and Bavaro had less offensive talent than the Cardinals?
    Morris averaged over a 100 yards a game in 1986 and led the league in Tds in 85, while averaging close to 85 yards a game.
    Bavaro missed like 8 games in his entire career.

An iconic moment is "Going to Disney World?"

Simms missed 3 games from 1984-1991.

His career screams Hall of Very Good. Not HOF.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

His problem was he was ALWAYS questionable. You never knew whether to play him or sit him! [/disgruntled fantasy owner]

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Break down:

· I said Gabriel would be in the top five not in the Hall....should have clarified to say people who would be voted on by the Vets Committee...since that is Anderson's only shot. Do you have a separate five?

· I said contemporary of Montana, Fouts and Marino..not comparable...i chose them because they were the slam dunk Hall of Famers of his era that he was playing against....I could have added Moon, Elway and Kelly, but I feel their best years came after Simms' sweet spot 84-87.

· The Cardinals had Anderson in his prime from 1979-1984. He finished in the top 10 in rushing five of those six years. Cardinals also had Roy Green, who in 1983 and 1984 was considered probably the best receiver in the game. Injuries plagued him after that. JT Smith came after him and strung together several great seasons.

· As for Morris, I didn't say he wasn't good...I said he was a midget...and he was for NFL standards....he was 5 foot 7. After those two seasons, he became very, very average. Bavaro missed the entire 1991 season with a knee injury. He also missed nine games in 1989, and was never the same play again.

· Going to Disney World has become a catch phrase that is a major part of pop culture. Jerry Rice held a grudge for several years because he didn't get to say after he won the MVP. So yes, that is a major moment.

· So, Simms getting healthy is held against him?

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I think it screams Good, that's it. To me he's not close to a borderline case. Phil Simms, Hall of Famer? Scratching my head. Fine player, annoying dolt of an announcer, not a good case for Canton.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

George Reed too.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's funny that plenty of guys have their values inflated because of fantasy football, and Taylor might be the first to have his downgraded because of it. He missed so many games in the middle of the year that hurt fans who drafted him that it, to a degree at least, colors some of the analysis of him.
    His Hall of Fame case, appropriately enough, is questionable.

Draft saved Draft deleted