1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fred Taylor: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jul 11, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Or Herschel Walker.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

As a builder for help building the Cowboy dynasty?

Batman and CD Boogie like this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that Craig doesn't even seem to be on the radar. He might have been the blueprint for the modern NFL back with his pass-catching ability and versatility, was a key piece of the 49ers dynasty, had an iconic running style, and is fifth all-time in receptions for a running back. He was No. 1 when he retired.
    He's one of a handful of players from the 1980s, along with Phil Simms and Henry Ellard, that seem to have been completely forgotten by the selection committee and missed their window. The game has changed so much since they retired that their numbers don't look nearly as impressive as they actually were.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

Whoa. Phil Simms? I know he had that near-perfect Super Bowl, but I grew up in the tri-state area (though not as a Gints fan) and I can't ever remember anyone ever mentioning Simms as a HOF-caliber player. Hell, the year the Giants won the SB he threw more INTs (22) than touchdowns (21).

Phil Simms Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Ricky Watters >> Roger Craig.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This one run has chunks of Ricky Watters' career in its stool.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

His overall numbers for the era weren't bad. He had a 4,000-yard season on his resume. He was the QB for one of the best teams of the decade, and he won a Super Bowl. That's often enough to get in, or at least get some consideration.
    And for the record, I grew up an Eagles fan. I can't stand Phil Simms and I despise the Giants (especially the Parcells-era Giants). I'm not sad he's not in, just surprised no one ever even mentions his name. I guess since those Giants teams were more renowned for their defense, whatever coattails they have leaned that way with Harry Carson getting in and Carl Banks mentioned as one of the guys who possibly should be in.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He deserves more consideration for his USFL numbers. It is the Pro Football HOF and not just the NFL hall.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then Damon Allen and Anthony Calvillo should go in.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Herschel Walker reminds me of Vince Carter -- a guy who was not as good as he should have been.

I agree that Roger Craig is criminally underappreciated by Hall voters. I wonder if it's because the West Coast passing game got so much play, he was taken for granted

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

Carson also bitched a lot about not getting in. He might have had a case, but whining about not being inducted into the HOF (Goose Gossage, Fragile Taylor) won't bring me around to your case. But yeah, was Bob Griese better than Phil Simms? Kenny Stabler definitely deserved enshrinement before his death.

12. CD Boogie

And Flutie for his record up north...

Draft saved Draft deleted